What fluids?

What fluids (companies) do you guys prefer? im changing my coolant, oil, power steering, rear and tranny.

i live in NYC, so anyone else that lives near hear, what kind of engine oil do you use? do you still use a 50/50 mix of the coolant/water?

and one more thing, a motorsport filter right? i was gunna get plugs but which ones should i get? stick with motorsport also?

• Sponsors (?)

fox racer said:
What fluids (companies) do you guys prefer? im changing my coolant, oil, power steering, rear and tranny.

i live in NYC, so anyone else that lives near hear, what kind of engine oil do you use? do you still use a 50/50 mix of the coolant/water?

and one more thing, a motorsport filter right? i was gunna get plugs but which ones should i get? stick with motorsport also?
fluids are personal preference. i would run 10 or 5W-30 oil - whatever you need (our climates are very different - i have 15-50 in mine right now - it is 70* outside). FL-1A filter for me.

coolant: yellow stuff. i would run a 50/50 mix or whatever you need to satiate your freezing protection needs. for a buck or two, you can get a hydrometer deal that checks the protection level of your coolant.
dont mix orange and yellow coolants.

for other fluids, run what you like. i like synthetics, esp on things with long drain intervals (trans, rear, etc). any quality synthetic should work.

plugs are autolite 25's for me.

good luck.

i use the yellow Prestone coolant that comes in a yellow bottle (steer clear of things that say Dex Cool on them).

in NYC winter, i would run a 5W-30 oil. synthetic is your choice (read the synthetic vs dino oil threads in here about possible leaks arising after switching). synthetic can give better cold start protection.

for the other fluids, i like Redline. that is a personal decision. some guys run Mobil 1 (which can often be found at parts stores). others are Amsoil and Royal Purple (the latter of which is also more prevelant in parts stores now).

this would be a good time to do a thermostat change if needed (i like Mr Gasket stats. ~10 bucks at speed shops).

might ohm out your plug wires too. if they ohm out high, replace them. again, personal choice on which to use.

good luck.

yea, im just freshening everything up, i just bought the car.. thnx so much for your help

now, one more thing. i read the syn vs. dino oils thread. my motor has slightly over 64k miles on it. should i be worried about synthetics revealing ay leaks? also isnt there an oil the can replenish the seals? what about that fuel additive that helps seal the cylinders better? any comments on that?

89MustangGX said:
I think maybe you're referring to a yellow bottle -- with green coolant inside...? :D

I agree on all counts though. :nice:
here we go again - Michael gave me grief on that before too. i must be somehwhat color blind cuz it looks yellow to me. :)