What Flywheel and Balancer?

dcs7941

Nov 20, 2005
Georgia
It is about time for a rebuild on my 95GT. I have looked at several shortblocks out there 306, 331 and 347. My motor is a stock 302 and has a 50oz Harmonic Balancer and 50oz Flywheel. If I were to buy a stroker shortblock, will I need a new balancer and flywheel? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Most rotating assemblies will be balanced to 28oz. So yes you will need new stuff. Although it is possible to get it balanced to 50oz., im not sure how popular this route is, i havent read much about it so its probably best for you to stick with a 28oz. balance.

It's much more difficult to do a 50oz. balance on the stroker stuff cuz of the geometry of the crankshaft. It's possible but it requires removal of excessive amounts of material from the crankshaft (for proper balancing) and can make the crank a bit weaker for no reason other than to save some money. If your spending the money on a stroker just get a nicely balanced aftermarket flywheel and balancer, our stock ones are prone to coming apart with high performance use anyways.