What flywheel is best for my car?

5.0 Nostalgia

10 Year Member
Feb 28, 2003
CT
I am replacing the flywheel and clutch in my 91 coupe. I am still undecided on the clutch, but I am leaning toward a King Cobra. I want a clutch that is stronger than stock but still almost as light. However, I don't know if I should get a stock for billet flywheel. What would be the benefits of paying the extra $100 for a billet flywheel? I don't really care about spending the extra money, but don't want to if I won't get anything from it. The car is a daily driver and doesn't get beat on too much.

Thanks for the info.

• Sponsors (?)

Remember that drivability and torque is effected by the flywheel. An engine requires a large heavy flywheel to idle smoothly. If you go light weight you may have to feather the throttle to keep it runnung. Rotating mass also produces torque.

On a street car don't even consider an Aluminum Flywheel. Go with a Steel....Centerforce and Mcleod make excellent flywheel's that are SFI approved.
A steel flywheel actually would make more power then a lightweight aluminum as the steel flywheel povide's a strong reciprocating (I have no Idea How To Spell It) force, resulting in more power.
Aluminum is great for mostly race oriented car's.

As for a Clutch set up.... I like Spec and Mcleod.... the King Cobra is alright, as well as Centerforce...It's your call there.

Shon

steel flywheel

i got a steel flywheel in there now...with a king cobra clutch, the clutch is great if ur not pushin more the 400...the king cobra isnt that stiff either shifter doesnt feel to much harder then the stock clutch...happy with it and there is a 100+ dollar difference in the centerforce and king cobra

p.s. by the way...it would be much better if this website had a chatroom instead of this posting business

Driveablility is an issue. As I said, the car is a daily driver. It may see one track event a year. Most likely not though. An alluminum flywheel is not even an option. I will probably go with a stock flywheel. I have a billet steel flywheel in my 89 and drove it for a year with no issues. It does idle a bit rougher though.

Thanks for the help guys. Keep the info coming. I get about a couple hours a week to work on the car and I have to have the T5 looked at so I am not in a hurry.

really, for your application, just re surface the stock flywheel, it's only gonna cost $30. Save the cash for different mods, you're not gonna really notice a difference, and you don't want the alum one.

if you are looking for a light clutch, consider the centerforce dual friction. It grabs much better than the kc clutch, but has an evenlighter pedal feel, much, much lighter.

giddyup306 said:
Remember that drivability and torque is effected by the flywheel. An engine requires a large heavy flywheel to idle smoothly. If you go light weight you may have to feather the throttle to keep it runnung. Rotating mass also produces torque.

No you won't. I have an aluminum flywheel AND aluminum balancer on my car. It idles just fine on its own.

The aluminum parts are real nice, motor revs up very quick

v8only said:
really, for your application, just re surface the stock flywheel, it's only gonna cost $30. Save the cash for different mods, you're not gonna really notice a difference, and you don't want the alum one.

if you are looking for a light clutch, consider the centerforce dual friction. It grabs much better than the kc clutch, but has an evenlighter pedal feel, much, much lighter.

I was thinking also of just resurfacing the flywheel. The rear main seal caused the oil to leak on it and make a mess. If the flywheel has never been resurfaced, I may do that. However, the clutch in the car is an aftermarket clutch so chances are it was already resurfaced when that clutch was installed.

these things can be resurfaced many times without problems, they have tons of meat on them.

napa stocks used resurfaced flywheels ready to go. Save yourself some time, pick one up from napa, $30, pay the core charge on top of that, do your clutch, bring them back your old flywheel monday get your core charge back.