What gear oil??

• Sponsors (?)

i would try loosening it first. i have not had to torch any out. just make sure the ratchet is on square and deep and give it a try.
a small amount of anti seize should not hurt.

good luck.

An impact will often loosen things that a
hand wrench/breaker bar won't.

If you have problems getting the plug out, apply some penetrant to the plug a couple times a day for a couple days and try it again.

Synthetics are good because they stand up to heat and extreme pressure in bearings and between gear surfaces better and have more additives. Many heavy truck owners and fleets went to them because the differentials and trannys last longer and they get a tad better fuel economy, and those guys are often putting well over 1,000 lbs of engine torque thru the trans, then multiply that by the trans multiplication for the rears.

Synthetics usually flow into the smaller spaces better so lube better because of that, too, as well as flowing better when cold.

Bought some Redline 75W-90 Gear oil with the friction modifier and will be changing it sometime in the next few days. I guess I'll go with the Permatex copper RTV since I've heard a couple good reviews about them. I saw the blue and black RTV stuff as well, prob shouldstay away from those? Hope I have luck with the fill plug, everything else seems to be fairly easy.

Rockin302 said:
Bought some Redline 75W-90 Gear oil with the friction modifier and will be changing it sometime in the next few days. I guess I'll go with the Permatex copper RTV since I've heard a couple good reviews about them. I saw the blue and black RTV stuff as well, prob shouldstay away from those? Hope I have luck with the fill plug, everything else seems to be fairly easy.
i use the copper myself (not sure if i said that before). i dont recall all the specs, but it seems to be resistant to more things than some of the other 'colors'. i could be wrong on that - just my recollection.

sounds like a good plan. i bet it goes super easy. BTW, for filling, if i did not touch upon it, what i like to do (there are many other methods): i have some clear tubing from the home store. i run it from the filler hole, up over the left rear tire. then i pour from outside the car (as opposed to be under it). works for me (gravity feed). just keep an eye on the level. pumps are supposed to work well too.

good luck.

Thanks Hissin and all. Oh, I'm going to fill it with the syringe method. Might be a bit slower that way.

One last thing, cure time for the RTV? An earlier post said to wait a day but RTV should be good after about an hour right? I don't plan on driving the car after the oil change so I hope there aren't any issues with the gear oil mixing with any uncured RTV.

For just a few bucks at the parts store, you can usually buy a small hand pump that screws into the lube bottle. Mine works exceptionally well. I've also used Hissin's method many times - funnel into a tube outside the car. Just clamp the hose so that it doesn't pull out of the case unbeknownst to you as you continue to pour the first quart all over the ground. Don't ask....

Michael Yount said:
For just a few bucks at the parts store, you can usually buy a small hand pump that screws into the lube bottle. Mine works exceptionally well. I've also used Hissin's method many times - funnel into a tube outside the car. Just clamp the hose so that it doesn't pull out of the case unbeknownst to you as you continue to pour the first quart all over the ground. Don't ask....

I did it the other way for many years and it works fine, and then I spent a few bucks on a pump and I'll never go back. :nice:

Mine is actually a self-contained pump -- looks like a grease gun, except you unscrew the top and pour whatever into it. Then you pump it like a grease gun out of the tube it has attached to it. Michael's sounds a little cleaner, but I like mine as well.

You'll find other uses for it too -- works well on filling manual trannies, etc.

89MustangGX said:
I did it the other way for many years and it works fine, and then I spent a few bucks on a pump and I'll never go back. :nice:

Mine is actually a self-contained pump -- looks like a grease gun, except you unscrew the top and pour whatever into it. Then you pump it like a grease gun out of the tube it has attached to it. Michael's sounds a little cleaner, but I like mine as well.

You'll find other uses for it too -- works well on filling manual trannies, etc.
Adam, interesting. the reason i dont use a pump is that the pump i have never seems to fit the bottles i have. i think my pump is from the old days with bottles that had bigger mouths. :shrug:

good idea though. where do you get it and how much? i never looked at a parts store for one.

Got the car on jacks right now and the gear oil is flowing out as I speak. I've cleaned off all the old gasket material off the cover and most of the stuff on the housing. Going to wait till tommorrow to get the RTV( the Permatex copper stuff) and re-fill with the Redline gear oil.

Interestingly, the fill plug was a snap to take out. It just had a little bit of thread lock on it. I was all worried about nothing!!

thanks again for everyone's help!! :flag:

Boy, gear oil sure stinks but I got used to it after awhile, quite pleasant.

Took me like an hour to pump the damn oil in. I used a syringe with a 2 oz. capacity and laborously pumped it in. If I could only get my hands on a peristaltic pump!!!

I sped up the curing time for the RTV by hitting it with a hairdryer. So far so good, no leaks yet!!

Rockin302 said:
Boy, gear oil sure stinks but I got used to it after awhile, quite pleasant.

Took me like an hour to pump the damn oil in. I used a syringe with a 2 oz. capacity and laborously pumped it in. If I could only get my hands on a peristaltic pump!!!

I sped up the curing time for the RTV by hitting it with a hairdryer. So far so good, no leaks yet!!
sounds good. gotta love the smell of that stuff, huh. :D

in the old days when i used a pump, it still took forever to get gear oil to pump, esp if it was cold out. sounds like newer pumps (and smarter people) have an easier go of it. im gonna check out one of those pumps like Adam described. otherwise, my clear plastic tubing works good. when i did the camaro's gear oil, i hung the funnel (with hose attached) from a bungee off the garage door bracing. talk about easy. :)

i have RTV'd and filled within an hour before and it was fine. i think as long as the pumpkin cover doesnt flex before it cures, the stuff should be alright (Michael, Adam, et al, will know better).

nice job.