What Gears To Go With?

• Sponsors (?)

Give Me TP said:
Go here: http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=563484

This was already hashed over ad nauseum

Ya I had checked that out [Thanks! :nice: ] and I'm not saying that the stock gearing is better than the 4.10's when it comes to racing, or around town driving. I'm simply saying that out on the highway, with the cruise set at 70mph, there will be less engine wear and better mileage with the 3.27's. If 90% of a persons driving is highway [like me] then maybe 4.10's may not be the best choice. If most of your driving is around town, then deffinitly get the 4.10's.

CanadaStang said:
Ya I had checked that out [Thanks! :nice: ] and I'm not saying that the stock gearing is better than the 4.10's when it comes to racing, or around town driving. I'm simply saying that out on the highway, with the cruise set at 70mph, there will be less engine wear and better mileage with the 3.27's. If 90% of a persons driving is highway [like me] then maybe 4.10's may not be the best choice. If most of your driving is around town, then deffinitly get the 4.10's.

I would agree with that. If all you ever did was highway driving, then the extra rpm would increase engine wear, but I don't know how substantial it would be since highway driving is easier on an engine anyway. The argument in the other thread was that steeper gears also decreased load on the engine and drivetrain during take off and around town driving, so I think for most people it probably equals out.

Give Me TP said:
Personally, I would rather have 150,000 fun miles with 4.10s than 175,000 not as fun miles with stock gears.

:rlaugh: Ya that's a good point. Besides, I think I'd look kinda stupid telling someone with 4.10's: " Ya sure you beat me, but I bet in 10 years if we both did all our driving on the highway, my engine would have less wear" :rolleyes:

Where'd you get the 3900 RPM figure from? My engine turns around 2500-2600 RPMs at 70. That's not really a lot, and I lost maybe 1 or 2 MPG over the 3.27s. That leads me to believe that with 3.73s or 4.10s you could actually get *better* mileage, which from what I've heard, is true.

3.73s are perfectly fine. In a race, the difference between the 2 gears would be VERY small. Look at all these cars with 4.10s...are their times any better than us with 3.73s? You wont tell a difference at the track. If anything, on street tires 4.10s will hurt your times due to wheel spin in 1st and 2nd gear. JMO. Go with whichever you want. Believe me, you wont miss 4.10s if you go 3.73s....I dont :shrug: . Its enough gear, and good highway rpm to boot.

shiftless said:
Where'd you get the 3900 RPM figure from? My engine turns around 2500-2600 RPMs at 70. That's not really a lot, and I lost maybe 1 or 2 MPG over the 3.27s. That leads me to believe that with 3.73s or 4.10s you could actually get *better* mileage, which from what I've heard, is true.

Whoops!! I ment 2000rpms with the 3.27's and 2640rpms with 4.30's. I figured out 4th and 5th gears for comparison and accidently posted the 4th gear figures. :bang:
My bad :(

Danre said:
I have a 2004 Stang and am wanting to do gears. But I can't decide on which. The car is a manual, and I don't know if I should go with 3.73s or 4.10s. Any suggestions? :shrug:

LOL :rlaugh: , here we go again. look up the thread 3.73's vs 4.10's

i bought 3.73's but this will be a big debate

I have tried a lot of different gears on the track and as a general rule, if you are running less than 400 RWHP then the 4.10 or higher work a little better. If you are running over 400 RWHP then the 3.73 gears will give you quicker ET slips as you will tend to run out of engine RPM in the real power range. Also, on the street, you will have a very difficult time planting the power with gears higher than 3.73; just make a lot of smoke and watch the other guy pull away.

Bobby F