What happened now!?

Dtowncats

Jun 2, 2003
York, PA
Well after I got off work I went to my girlfriends house. On my way there I have to go up a pretty steep hill. I decided to do a burnout up the hill. So I turn onto the hill and mash it in 1st. Next thing I know I look down and my tach says 6k rpm. I immediately left off of it and look at all of my gauges and they are all reading ok. So when I stop in front of her house I see steam coming from my hood. I pop the hood and I see fluid all over the passenger side firewall. The steam is coming from the fluid on the header. I drove it home and the temp never went above 170-180 as usual so it wasn't over heating. I got on it a couple times and it seemed to run fine but the same thing happened when I got home. Steam coming from the hood. What could be the problem? I haven't had a chance to look at anything because it is dark out right now.

• Sponsors (?)

Think you busted your heater core. The drain plug is on the pass. side firewall and low near the manifolds. Good luck with that, mine has been busted a while but I don't want to remove my dash to replace it. :(

Curse said:
If it is hot where you live, you don't have to worry about it right away. Just run a bypass hose so you don't leak coolant everywhere.
Well it is only a spring/summer car anyway but it does get chilly some nights. Can I buy a bypass hose or do I have to rig one up? Where exactly does it go from and to?

passenger side firewall... you'll see coolant lines going to it. You can bypass it for now but I'd suggest eventually getting it replaced. The replacement is one hell of a job.

Dtowncats said:
Well it is only a spring/summer car anyway but it does get chilly some nights. Can I buy a bypass hose or do I have to rig one up? Where exactly does it go from and to?
You don't have to buy a bypass hose. First drain your radiator then just disconnect the inlet hose from the firewall and loop it around to the outlet side where it connects to the motor. Basically all you do is run the hose from the water pump to the intake. This bypasses the heater core.

Well I just checked it out and it is coming from behind the intake manifold. I started it up and let it run and didn't see anything. When I started revving it up I saw it start pouring down the back. What could it be? I can't see where it is coming from with all of the hoses in the way.

Let the car warm up and be certain that it is not one of the heater core hoses. Your carpet is wet? If your carpet is wet, more than likely your heater core is gone or you have a leak around the heater hose connections going into the firewall. If it is coming out from behind the intake, it could be in intake gasket. What color is your water in your radiator?

Tim

Check your heater hosees from the heater core to the heater rails on the heater rail side. Also check the small heater hoses that go from the heater rails to the EGR spacer. Get a pressure tester for the coolant system, it will help you find the leak. The tester allows you to pressurize the system, and will cause the leak to happen while the car is turned off.

Mario

There are 2 heater hoses that go from the metal pipes on the side of the intake to the firewall/heater core. There is one small line of the back of the intake that connects to the EGR spacer. The other side of the small one goes from the front of the EGR spacer to the metal water lines on the side of the intake.

Tim

Well I figured it out that it is the hose that goes from the EGR spacer to the intake. Had a hole in it. Got a replacement hose but it is a ***** trying to get the clamp on the bottom tight. I tried for about 45 minutes in the dark but I am just going to wait until tomorrow morning. Thanks a lot all of you. You guys are great!