What head bolts for AFR 165 heads...??

• Sponsors (?)

Rick 91GT said:
I would go with a ARP head stud, 7/16"

Summit Racing ARP-154-4001 $74.95

What makes the studs superior to the bolts...I know piece of mind is better but is it really going to matter with an N/A setup...Bolts are around what $40... :shrug:

Also what bolts should I get to bolt up my Mac Equal Length headers to the AFR's...??? Part Number?

Don't even consider anything but ARP Head Stud's. The little extra money more they will cost you is so minor that it make's no sense not to go with what's best. Not only that, but you can reuse them and they will be a must if a blower or nitrous or any other serious mods find there way on to your Stang. Do it right the first time man... Go ARP Studs.

I'm probably going to go ahead and get the ARP head bolts for the 289-302 standard...ARP-154-3601 for $38 bucks...I don't plan on a supercharger or nitrous...and if I do I would take apart the motor or get a new one and build it up and then I'd change if I needed to...but I'm probably going to get the bolts...

So I need some thread sealer (antiseize)...for these bolts...

What would be some good header bolts...part number for those?...I didn't see any in the Summit Catalog... :shrug: ...I guess I'm going to check the website...

Most of the MAC's now come with bolts, otherwise get the Stainless Stage 8 bolts but they are double the cost not sure if the extra money is worth it to you, but they don't rust or back out.

I still suggest studs, although ARP bolts would be fine....

DO NOT USE ANTI-SEIZE ON THE HEAD BOLTS.
ALL of the lower head bolts need thread sealer since they go into the water jackets, I like the ARP stuff. The top head bolts need moly or oil, I prefer to use the ARP moly it ensuires proper tq when using their bolts.

The intake bolts you can re-use or buy them from ARP for around $12 stainless. I use antiseize on those to prevent them from galling into the alum head. Don't forget to put permatex around the water jackets from the intake hasket and use a nice thick bead of Permatex on the front and rear, you find it works better then the cork or rubber end seals given with most kits. You need a 1250 Fel-Pro intake gasket and a 1415 Fel-pro header gasket.

Rick 91GT said:
Most of the MAC's now come with bolts, otherwise get the Stainless Stage 8 bolts but they are double the cost not sure if the extra money is worth it to you, but they don't rust or back out.

I still suggest studs, although ARP bolts would be fine....

DO NOT USE ANTI-SEIZE ON THE HEAD BOLTS.
ALL of the lower head bolts need thread sealer since they go into the water jackets, I like the ARP stuff. The top head bolts need moly or oil, I prefer to use the ARP moly it ensuires proper tq when using their bolts.

The intake bolts you can re-use or buy them from ARP for around $12 stainless. I use antiseize on those to prevent them from galling into the alum head. Don't forget to put permatex around the water jackets from the intake hasket and use a nice thick bead of Permatex on the front and rear, you find it works better then the cork or rubber end seals given with most kits. You need a 1250 Fel-Pro intake gasket and a 1415 Fel-pro header gasket.

Well I already have the Mac's...Thanks for the info...that helps :nice:

So that intake gasket will be fine with an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake...?