What is a "respectable" quarter mile time?

InMyPrimeSVT

Founding Member
Jul 31, 2001
Cincinnati
When would you guys say you can quit upgrading for speed b/c you have a respectable quarter time? I ran a 14.1 before my headers and all the stuff sitting in my barn (which is still sitting there). With every year it seems like the fast cars get faster, so I'm wondering what you all consider a very respectable quarter mile time.

• Sponsors (?)

im shooting for low 10's with a 347 and a 150 shot in my vert by the middle of next year. i think that will be pretty impressive and pretty fast. fast enough to spank just about anyones ass on the street if i do so feel inclined. if i could get low 10's i would be happy with that.

I hear you on the cars getting faster...you'll never stop adding parts to keep up in here...:SNSign:
With that said....13s has always been a respectable number to me...we can all atest to the 14.1 trying to get to the 13s...only a 1/10...but it can be elusive...:bang:
I run mid 13s and now there's prolly a low 13 there if I drove it hard enuf and had more seat time with the right tire combo...I set my goal at 13s and made it...so that suffices for the moment...Is it enough...hell no...
Nowadays 12s are the new benchmark to me...

Way back when I first got my car I set out to run LOW 13's in my car. My buddies and I at the time all thought that was plenty quick for a street car. My opinion has definitely changed on that though, especially when you see things like this...

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50114

I think a 12 second car is "respectable" but 11's or quicker are starting to be what's needed to get my attention.

That is just one of those answers that each person has their own opinion about.

If we are talking about the typical na combo street car .............

1/4 mile et's can be so misleading simply cause most of them can't 60 foot.

however

If you got a chance to drive those same cars around on the street you would quickly see they make a great deal of power.

Most of the 300rwhp combos you find on this forum will et mid to high 12's. With better hook and optimum driving skills that same car could dip in the 11's.

Grady

OF COURSE it all depends.... and i dont know how much stock you want to hold on a 19 year old's opinion... but as far as I'm concerned, I'd be happy with 13's in an sn vert, and low 13's from a coupe when considering the weight of our cars and just bolt ons (no power adders). but if you'r throwing a power adder on you better hit the 12's and an aftermarket block/ h/c/i 12's and 11's are in order. and also, an impressive car in my opinion is the fit and finish of the work and who did it (was it done by the driver/ owner of the car) and consider the budget the car is on. the most impressive cars to me are the nice ones that look good up close, have something original done to them... and run times better than what their combo seems to allow them to run. JUST DRIVE WELL, DRIVE FAST ON THE TRACK, AND TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOUR STUFF, and you'll have an impressive car... i'd be impressed by most of these cars in person

Killercanary said:
Way back when I first got my car I set out to run LOW 13's in my car. My buddies and I at the time all thought that was plenty quick for a street car. My opinion has definitely changed on that though, especially when you see things like this...

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50114

I think a 12 second car is "respectable" but 11's or quicker are starting to be what's needed to get my attention.

Drool... I so badly want an SRT8 (of the CHARGER persuasion). 4500 lb's and 12's. You gotta give that credit! That is hauling some serious you know what.

droptopford 5 0 said:
OF COURSE it all depends.... and i dont know how much stock you want to hold on a 19 year old's opinion...

For the most part .................

I'd say your opinion is thought of no differently than all the others :D

To me, that is what makes this forum :SNSign: the good thing it is :banana:

but as far as I'm concerned, I'd be happy with 13's in an sn vert, and low 13's from a coupe when considering the weight of our cars and just bolt ons (no power adders). but if you'r throwing a power adder on you better hit the 12's and an aftermarket block/ h/c/i 12's and 11's are in order. and also, an impressive car in my opinion is the fit and finish of the work and who did it (was it done by the driver/ owner of the car) and consider the budget the car is on. the most impressive cars to me are the nice ones that look good up close, have something original done to them... and run times better than what their combo seems to allow them to run. JUST DRIVE WELL, DRIVE FAST ON THE TRACK, AND TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOUR STUFF, and you'll have an impressive car... i'd be impressed by most of these cars in person

I'm with you :Teh-Win:

I like Stangs to not only go great ... they look great as well :nice:

Unfortunately :bang: it takes a bit more $$$ to make that happen :fuss:

Grady