what is my 302 shortblock worth?

muddslide

Mar 10, 2003
DAYTONA BEACH
I have a 87 302 shortblock and i'm looking to sell it. It only has approx 1,200 miles on it. It had all the machine work done at a good proshop in town approx 500.00 dollars worth, all the basic stuff. Forged pistons, blue thunder cam, the rest of the motor is stock ford racing parts. The motor was never beat and it was well taken care of. it was also balanced and blue printed. I have several reciepts for the motor. it runs strong with my aluminum heads. I'm looking to go with a 347 stroker r block and don't need this anymore. How much is it approx worth? I know its hard to get a price without seeing the motor but i'm lloking to get a ballpark figure. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I can buy a complete explorer motor for about $800 on Ebay. That might not be as good as your short block, but it does have the cobra style intake and GT40P heads. With that in mind, how much would you pay?

My guess is $5-600

It's like how you can make a small fortune racing:

start with a big one.

I sold my 95 stock short block with pan, cover, crower 15510 cam, lifters, etc for $500 or 550 on ebay with approx 65,000 miles on it. Shipping that much weight and size will need to go truck freight and it's very expensive. Estes Express Lines, USF Holland, ABF, Yellow, all will ship it for you.. I'm partial to Estes Express Lines if they are in your area (since they sign my checks ;) ). Again though your best bet is to cut someone a deal or sell it locally because of shipping.

Thanks for the info, i hoping to get around 800.00 for the shortblock. I'm i hoping for to much, the engine is in mint condition and all the proper machine work was done at a great speedshop. I would like to sell it locally but I'm willing to ship it.