What kind of battery do you guys run?

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for all the help guys. I got the motorcraft battery and a new clamp in. I was kind of worried originally that I would have to someway crimp on the new clamp but it just smashed the wires between two parts on it with some bolts. Ive been nursing this battery for the last like 3 months knowing this was coming, thank god I finally did it. It is so nice to have confidence in my battery again.

I ended up having to hammer the 7mm socket on the clamp bolt head and while trying to loosen it, I ended up breaking the bolt head off.

The thing about optimas is that they are a different technology than lead acid batteries like the motorcraft. Specifically a lead acid battery can be fully discharged with no ill effects. However, most optimas with spiral cell technology cannot deal with this a complete discharge will very often destroy them. Only the deep cycling blue top marine version of the optima can be fully discharged it is of course the most expensive one...

So if your alt craps out or for whatever reason your battery gets fully drained it is better to have a reliable rather than a flashy battery. I actually have a spare motorcraft ready to go in my garage should I need it but I run the optima red top because it matches my car and looks nicer... lol...

Is there honestly a noticeable difference in performance or longevity between different batteries? I'm sure there are benefits of running a 200 dollar battery, but for a daily driver does it really make a difference if you have a duralast, die-hard, or a motorcraft? I'm not trying to be a smart ass or troll. Just wondering?

About 2 years ago, when my stocker died I just replaced it with whatever AdvanceAuto had as their own premium model (Autocraft Gold) with highest cold cranking amps.

Mine is no longer a daily esp during the winter and still fires right up.

For those of you commenting on the braille battery: I've had a Braille battery (17 lb version) for about a year now and it has worked well. Taking 20lbs off the front end and not having to mess with acid/chemical build up (battery is self contained) were both nice benefits. Get the mounting bracket and enjoy the extra space.

+1

BUMP alert... :D Just thought I'd add to this thread.

The Optima red top I bought four years ago recently crapped out - not any better than the stock battery that died after 4-1/2 years. I'm not impressed with the Optima red tops, way too much money for what you get. I won't buy another red top again.

:flag:

Resurrected from earlier this year, nice!

+1, I too fell victim to their marketing BS. Had an Optima red top for 2.5 years and it crapped out. Went to Batteries Plus since it had a 3 year warranty and got a brand new one for nothing. Not impressed at all with it. Next time I'll be buying whatever is on sale for $40 or $50, not a $120 red POS.