What kind of power does it take to pull the front wheels?

• Sponsors (?)

my friends 72 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 (not a light truck either) can lift the wheel off the ground in low range. and thats with a stock 350 old vette motor, on 38's, and about 100 lbs of mud on it. i dont think hes ever washed it.

Superhereaux said:
i bet with a fully built 8.8, gears (4.10+), axles, drag suspension, slicks and a 5-6k rpm launch you could do it with a stock hp mustang

so in short, about 225 to the wheels

No doubt about it.....but where would you find such a car :shrug: Most people go right to work on horsepower mods thinking that's the way to go fast in the 1/4. My 01GT ran 12.89 on drag radials with only 249rwhp :banana:

Jay

Quite a few years ago, MM&FF took a bone stock 5.0 LX and redid the suspension and chassis for drag racing. With slicks and skinnies that stock (not even a K&N) 5.0 would lift the tires and run low 13's at Englishtown. If I remember right, stock 5.0's dynoed about 175-180 hp on a good day. It's all in the setup. I think that car is the one Evan Smith still races (he redid it to look like a 93 Cobra).

it has been done by the newer cobras but if his rear is still stock then no you may prove him wrong when the rear suspension breaks. a few tricks to do so will be removing the sway bar, skinnies up front and moving the battery to the rear. the biggest thing is having a good rear suspension. i have seen a 84 monte carlo runnin low 13's pull the front tires off the ground about 6 inches. its not a horsepower issue. its lots of traction and torque applied to the pavement

tx2000gt said:
My buddy keeps saying that on slicks, an 04 Cobra can do it, and I just want to prove him wrong :).
its not really a case of how much hp its more about setup. A 40hp tractor will lift the front wheels if you dump the clutch but thats beacuse of the light weight front end no rear over hang and large rear wheels.

Also a often over looked factor is the anti-squat setup of a car. Most cars under hard accelaration will wind the rear suspension up causing the back of the car to dip.

However if you take a look at some of the pros out there in the drag raing world (the ones with sorted cars anyhow) in the pro stock classes and such. When they leave the line the rear of the car will actually raise not squat. This means there is less wasted energy in winding the suspension up and more energy propelling the car forward.

its all about traction
attachment.php

with slicks and the correct suspention setup it does not take horrilbe amount of power. the 04 cobra has enough if the car is stup right.

I mean a car an steet tires can't do it with 1000hp so it just is not a function of horsepower more weight transfer and traction.

JayC said:
No doubt about it.....but where would you find such a car :shrug: Most people go right to work on horsepower mods thinking that's the way to go fast in the 1/4. My 01GT ran 12.89 on drag radials with only 249rwhp :banana:

Jay
What are your mods?

(I'm not questioning your remark, I wanna run 12's too.) :)