What make these cars quiet?

Twista

May 7, 2004
@ the z00 in chicago
So im running a loud exhaust setup, but the car is stock quiet unless im on it :notnice: I got spotted the other day and was told, "car sounded okay, but its quiet."

Now today a buddy of mine has Flowmasters and o/r H and the car is way louder than mine.

My setup consist of:
Stock Engine
BBK Shorty Headers
UPR O/R X
Spintech Pro Street mufflers which are the size of 1 chamber flows almost.

WTF! I cant figure it out and its been bothering me for a long time. Only thing i can think of is the X pipe. Are x pipes on 5.0's normally quieter @ idle and low rpm cruise?

The only time the car is loud is at high RPM's.

So my question is: Is a x pipe on a 5.0 usually quieter than a O/r H ?

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah the H pipe is louder than the X, but I like the sound of the X better. Although mine is growing on me with my H pipe now. Aftermarket heads/cam will also make it louder.

Yeah the H pipe is louder than the X, but I like the sound of the X better. Although mine is growing on me with my H pipe now. Aftermarket heads/cam will also make it louder.

True about the heads/cam, but $$ is funny. H pipe is only like $150 and i could sell the xpipe after that for $70ish on craiglist. :shrug: Thats crazy though. On my 4.6 I put a O/R H pipe on there and my flowmasters were insanly loud :eek: 2500 RPM made a loud harley BLATTT. On the 5.0 with the Xpipe there is no -BLAT @ 2500rpm.. its just a smooth exotic sound. Idle is so quiet i can hear my fuel pump whining and cruising is quiet.
X pipe has to go :(

Which mufflers and whether you have cats or not is the real difference. Any difference between an H or X is negligible. Don't spend all that money on an H, because you probably won't be able to notice the difference at all.

Kurt

Which mufflers and whether you have cats or not is the real difference. Any difference between an H or X is negligible. Don't spend all that money on an H, because you probably won't be able to notice the difference at all.

Kurt

That is true, but i already listed my setup above

My mufflers=
75941d1125004988-spintech-pro-street-mufflers-4-sale-2091503_19_full.jpg

http://marylandspeed.com/images/spin_super_pro_2.jpg

my midpipe is:
05x_lrg.gif

If it were me, I'd be perfectly happy with what you describe: quiet most of the time, and loud at WOT. That is actually what I want.

Are you really sure that you want it loud all the time? If this is just in response to some dude's passing comment, you might consider re-thinking wanting to make it loud all the time.

After all, you are the one how has to drive it and deal with it on a day to day basis, not him. Think about sitting at stoplights, cruising through neighborhoods, and picking your kids up at school and stuff like that. Is your car a daily driver?

Just some random thoughts from an old guy.

If it were me, I'd be perfectly happy with what you describe: quiet most of the time, and loud at WOT. That is actually what I want.

Totally agree with you. Loud while you are cruising on the highway is just annoying.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that if you really want to be louder, change those Spintechs out for a set of Flowmasters. You are probably looking at loosing 8hp though. If you want to be retarded loud, and not loose any power, get those Dynomax bullet mufflers.

Kurt

My car is so loud.... never had one this loud, and I attribute that to the straight through dynomax ultra-flos and the fact that it's dumped. I need minimal restriction in my exhaust, though. I think that I'm going to figure out how to do an electric cutout and then go back to tail pipes, again.

Chris

Totally agree with you. Loud while you are cruising on the highway is just annoying.

Anyway, what I'm saying is that if you really want to be louder, change those Spintechs out for a set of Flowmasters. You are probably looking at loosing 8hp though. If you want to be retarded loud, and not loose any power, get those Dynomax bullet mufflers.

Kurt

Spintech in every way are louder than flowmaster 2 chambers. THe mufflers are not my problem for sure. And to be honest, i got rid of my 2 chamber for spin techs so that would not solve it. The car only got a bit louder. Far as i know.. the xpipe is the problem im guessing. I just wanna know if anyone has a 5.0 stock engine paired with xpipe that went to a HPIPE and the car was alot louder?

And its not what i was told by others, but i want the car to sound like it has a O/r pipe all the time.. not just when im on it. My idle should not be quiet.

I used to have a very similar setup. BBK LTs, dr gas x, spintech pro streets. Sounded VERY good, but yes quiet at idle. Back then (20 yrs old) I thought it was too quiet. If I still had it now (26 yrs old) it would be PERFECT. Never thought I'd agree with all the guys who said quieter is better, but I do.

Anyways, if you want your car to sound like you are describing, take your tailpipes off and dump the mufflers. When I first put that setup on I had them dumped and it sounds just like the loud droning flowmaster sound you seem to want. When I put the tailpipes on it was MUCH more quiet. That would be your easiest route at attaining the sound you want and worst case scenario, the cheapest to revert back to.

And don't kid yourself, without a different cam, loud sounds like crap on these cars. It's just noise.

My car is so loud.... never had one this loud, and I attribute that to the straight through dynomax ultra-flos and the fact that it's dumped. I need minimal restriction in my exhaust, though. I think that I'm going to figure out how to do an electric cutout and then go back to tail pipes, again.

Chris

Weird. I have Ultra-flows, and I consider them to be pretty quiet. That's one of the reasons I bought them. In fact, in the past, Steeda used to remarket the Ultra-flow mufflers as "Steeda Ultra Quiets," or something like that.

To the OP, you really need to save your money for a good H/C/I. That is the best way to make it louder.

Kurt

Ultra-flows here too and my car is pretty quiet even with a H-pipe. When I had dumps it was pretty loud, but I like it much better with tailpipes.

Going off experience with my cousin's 4.6L. He had a H-pipe and it was ridiculously loud, switched to a X and it's quieter and sounds much better. His car is louder than my stroker setup was even though we both have the same mufflers.

Guess I'm the opposite. If my car were loud I would want to be able to back the sound up. Being loud on a stock motor is kind of a waste. Keep what you got and put your money into making it faster. Get an Edelbrock Performer Intake, 70MM TB and big MAF. If you don't have gears then get 3:73's now.

do not run race bullets. You have one of the best exhaust setups out there.

the PRIMARY reason your exhaust is quiet and THE reason your car is far quieter than a similar exhaust on a 4.6(which is always what gets people) ...

is the HEADS and the tiny tiny exhaust port flow.

AFRs, or Trick flows will immediately result in a much much louder exhaust at idle and all the way through the rpm range.

You also have the quieter spintecks, it looks like. do you haev the sportsmans or the prostreet?

One of my top 3 favorite 5.0 setups was a car running ported gt40x heads, retarded e cam, LTs dr gas X and spintech pros. That car just screamed like nothing else. Ive lived with many many 5.0, 4.6 and lsx guys in college so We have installed and tested our fair share of combinations.

side by side, my one roomate ran Trick flows, ecam, gt40, bbk ORX and headers, and oldschool flowmaster 2 chambers.

This car was FAR FAR louder than my car that had the pretty much identical setup when I first bought it except stock E7s (e7s ecam, BBK ORH and Headers, flowmaster 2 chambers. his car would shake the windows and I could hear it screaming a mile down the road even when he was babying the throttle.

When I went to spintech streets, I was expecting LOUD because I for years had heard the car listed first (LT, DR gasx, spintech pro) and because they came off of my frineds 03 Gt which was loud. It was not, in fact it was quiter at idle. The sound was far far better than my crapmasters. and better at WOT.

Trick flows have some of the highest flowing exhaust ports of any street aftermarket head (more than AFRs)

if you can swing this mod, you could run it with stock cam and 1.7s and not have to deal with the added expense that the cam and tune will bring up immediately. You can usually find good deals on these heads used. ~800

My idle should not be quiet.

your car is a vaccuum. Its only as loud as the amount of air going through it and being compressed in a cylinder and lit on fire. before a valve opens and allows the gases to leave.

Loud idle with stock cam, sounds like a 1995 Chevy pickup.

Save for that Heads and cam as your next mod and dont waste you time with any other boltons.

do not run race bullets. You have one of the best exhaust setups out there.

the PRIMARY reason your exhaust is quiet and THE reason your car is far quieter than a similar exhaust on a 4.6(which is always what gets people) ...

is the HEADS and the tiny tiny exhaust port flow.

AFRs, or Trick flows will immediately result in a much much louder exhaust at idle and all the way through the rpm range.

You also have the quieter spintecks, it looks like. do you haev the sportsmans or the prostreet?

One of my top 3 favorite 5.0 setups was a car running ported gt40x heads, retarded e cam, LTs dr gas X and spintech pros. That car just screamed like nothing else. Ive lived with many many 5.0, 4.6 and lsx guys in college so We have installed and tested our fair share of combinations.

side by side, my one roomate ran Trick flows, ecam, gt40, bbk ORX and headers, and oldschool flowmaster 2 chambers.

This car was FAR FAR louder than my car that had the pretty much identical setup when I first bought it except stock E7s (e7s ecam, BBK ORH and Headers, flowmaster 2 chambers. his car would shake the windows and I could hear it screaming a mile down the road even when he was babying the throttle.

When I went to spintech streets, I was expecting LOUD because I for years had heard the car listed first (LT, DR gasx, spintech pro) and because they came off of my frineds 03 Gt which was loud. It was not, in fact it was quiter at idle. The sound was far far better than my crapmasters. and better at WOT.

Trick flows have some of the highest flowing exhaust ports of any street aftermarket head (more than AFRs)

if you can swing this mod, you could run it with stock cam and 1.7s and not have to deal with the added expense that the cam and tune will bring up immediately. You can usually find good deals on these heads used. ~800

Excellent post. And yes i was comparing my spintechs to a 4.6L video when i brought them. It sounds nothing like them and not loud at all like them. For the guys saying my mufflers are the problem. I highly doubt it.. as i said before. The smaller the muffler.. the louder the car usually :eek: and my mufflers are way smaller than FLowmaster 2 chambers length and width. I never knew about the head size on the 4.6L and 5.0's.
And i have spintech Pro Streets which are suppose to be super loud...
The post in this thread has been very helpful.
Thanks

I've owned 2 5.0 mustangs in the past that I can reflect on which may give you some advice

I had a 93 GT which at first had a stock motor with offroad h-pipe and 1-chamber flows which I switched to Spintech Pro-Streets and then to 2-chamber flows. I ran the 1-chambers and the spintechs w/o turndowns or tailpipes (Probably not the smartest idea but they both sounded awesome) The spintechs sounded incredible. They were loud but not obnoxious noise with no tone, they sounded flat out awesome. They were louder than the 1-chamber flows and at idle, you could even hear the stock cam lopping slightly. The reason I switched to 2-chamber flows is only because I decided I wanted to run tailpipes due to the exhaust smell getting in the car due to running no tailpipes and this was just the cheaper way to fix this because I already had the 2-chambers and tails from a previous car. This quieted the car down A LOT compared to the spintechs. I then put a Trick Flow H/C/I package on the car and the car completely changed it's exhaust tone for the better. Once I did this, the exhaust was about the same loudness as the spintechs but the tone was just so much more aggressive and "fuller" sounding. I can only imagine how awesome it would have sounded had I kept the spintechs............

Another car I owned was a 92 GT with Trick Flow H/C/I with 2-chamber flows but with an X-PIPE. Granted this was a different car and no two engine are going to sound exactly the same, but this set-up with the x-pipe was a descent amount quieter. Still sounded good, just smoother and quieter

I would definitely hang on to those mufflers, but maybe switch to an h-pipe. I would also suggest doing the H/C/I swap if at all possible. I can't even describe how much of a different animal my car was after I put on the Trick Flow stuff. Even some ported E7's or ported GT40's/GT40P's would increase the sound