What rear end set-up would be best

GTA_V6_Mustang

Nov 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Ok well As it is now I have hotchkis upper and lower control arms
Hotchkis Sport Suspension - 79-98 Mustang Rear Suspension Pckg. :: Rear Suspension :: Trailing Arm Package

SVO diff girdle and eibach prokit springs with stock shocks. I am going to be using these tires
Mickey Thompson Performance Tires & Wheels

Also have FRPP aluminum driveshaft and lakewood driveshaft safety loop. But dont have the subframe connectors on yet.

How long do you guys think the axles will last? If not long what do you think would be a good set of axles for a DD. I was thinking maybe these

Superior Axle and Gear EV83-28 - Superior Axle and Gear Evolution Series Rear Axle Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

or these

MOSER 28 SPLINE 5 LUG AXLES 94-98 MUSTANG - HOLCOMB MOTORSPORTS INC

In case your wondering car makes mid 300hp and upper 300torque

• Sponsors (?)

You'd be surprised how much those stock axles can hold up too. Anyway, if you want to avoid any possibility of splitting an axle on the line, then get either one of those axle sets. Probably a good time to rebuild your locker too.

Kurt

I don't know how those two companies are now, but I remember back in the day when Stangnet was booming, everybody said to get Strange Axles. Also make sure you make the jump up to 31 spline. There's no point in upgrading everything in the rear just to go short on the Axle splines.

If you upgrade to 31 spline axles, you have to upgrade to a 31 spline carrier, which is extra money. It's total overkill, the 28 splines are more than enough. In most cases, the stock cast axles do just fine, and forged 28 splines are infinately stronger than that. The output shaft on the transmission is 28 splines, so you are already double the strength over your transmission just due to the fact you have 2 axles to your one transmission shaft. Also, when I called Strange back in March, they said they were working on 31 spline axles that accept reductor rings for ABS, but as far as I know, such an axle is not available yet. So that means if you go to a 31 spline axle, you have to remove your ABS. Save your money.

One more thing to add. I would go ahead and order the longer wheel studs to go with your axles since you are suposed to have them to run slicks anyway. They also come with the easy threader ends, which makes putting your wheels on easier.

All the manufacturers are about the same quality. It's a very simple piece, I can't imagine one being any better than the other. I would just buy on price, or customer service.

Kurt

If there is no need for stronger axles with more splines why do they make them? 31 spline axles a good safety option. In fact, you could even go 33 spline but that might be overkill and quite expensive. All you need is an explorer traction Lok carrier and while you're in there, go with new clutch paks and bearings/seals. And brand is very important. Heating and cooling of metal is very tempermental. If you don't do it right, the metal can be weaker than originally. Also, I'm not 100% sure on this because my car came without ABS, but I thought the ABS ring was on the carrier? :shrug:

ABS Ring is on the axles which is why I was thinking Moser. But theres no need to rebuild the car only has 20k miles on it. And these axles have held slick launches on them. With the 4.10s they held enough to pull the front wheels about 4in off the ground. But I want for better asurance an even better axle that will take DD as well and i heard some things about forged axles and DD that the vertical shock of bumps in the road and potholes can cause them to break.

The reductor is on the end of the axle behind the studs. The 31 spline axles are just more money spent, that isn't going to do anything, because the 28 splines are more than enough.

Kurt

The reductor is on the end of the axle behind the studs. The 31 spline axles are just more money spent, that isn't going to do anything, because the 28 splines are more than enough.

Kurt

OK so what axles would be best to use though because I was reading about using forged axles for DD because something about them snaping because they can flex enough for potholes and so forth.

OK so what axles would be best to use though because I was reading about using forged axles for DD because something about them snaping because they can flex enough for potholes and so forth.

That's absolutely absurd. There's no flex in the axle from hitting potholes. I use the Moser 28 spline axles, and I can tell you that they are a perfect fit. I've got about 90,000 miles on them, and my car makes 635 ft lbs of torque and cuts a 1.65 short time. The video above is a Mustang with twice as much power as you have running an axle that isn't even half as strong.

Kurt

That's absolutely absurd. There's no flex in the axle from hitting potholes. I use the Moser 28 spline axles, and I can tell you that they are a perfect fit. I've got about 90,000 miles on them, and my car makes 635 ft lbs of torque and cuts a 1.65 short time. The video above is a Mustang with twice as much power as you have running an axle that isn't even half as strong.

Kurt

Thanks thats good to know I guess its moser 28 spline then, lol.

It depends on where the axle broke. If it broke where the bearing is, the wheel would fall off.

Usually the break down where the splines are cut in. The splines are suposed to be raised above the diameter of the shaft, like it is on the transmission output shaft, but for some reason they don't do that. The part of the shaft that the bearing rides on, is actually the thickest part of the axle. The unfortunate downside is that you can have ABS or C-clip eliminators, but not both.

Kurt