what rim would you chose?

bobc83

Jul 31, 2007
Normal,IL
I am in the process of installing my vortech air compression mod and have come to realize I'm going to need a wider rear tire :)

I am pimpin' the 18X9 DD chrome bullitts now and could buy the 18x10's with some 305/35/18 nitto dr's....but holy hell, those two wheels and tires are expensive. I was thinking of selling them to a good friend who would love to have them, and grabbing a 17" wheel setup. 9's in the front and 10.5's outback with 315/35 nittos and nearly spend the same amount. There would probably be a major increase in traction with the 17's, but I love how the 18's really fill out the fender well. Anyone seem 18x9/10 DD bullits front and rear and really like it?
Talk me into or out of something :)

• Sponsors (?)

as a Ford brethren....you know keeping my foot out of it is not possible :)

the 305 MT are $300 a piece though, compared to less than $200 for 17" version, I don't do any road racing really, and want to make the stang my weekend warrior / once a month track whore. I start to feel sometimes that DD front and huge DD in the rear is too much sometimes. I want to be flashy, but traction minded as well. Thank you for the input as everyone's is greatly appreciated.

If you want them for looks, then go for it, but you don't need them for hook. Put a good set of shoes on the rims you got and modify your driving style and call it a day. '03-'04 Cobra's run the same width wheels and make a lot more torque down low that you do and they're plenty manageable out of the hole. It sounds to me your problem isn't tires.....its your inability to keep your right foot off of the floor board. ;)

17's will hook a lot better than 18's..... But, the 18's fill out the fenders a ton better. Its really up to you on what ur looking for... You may think about building the rear suspension........ That would allow u to keep ur 18's and still hook.. Best of both worlds....

ive got the 18x9 front and 18x10 rear DD bullitts and i really love the look of the bigger wheels, so i bought a set of 03 cobra 17's with drag radials for the track, so i can look good daily driving and hook at the track when u need to with the other wheels

I still don't think tire width has as much to do with traction as your suspension setup and tire choice. On my 88, I only have a small 245-45-17 nitto 555R, and it hooks great. I ran a 12.26 with a 1.79 60' time, with no tire spin at all. As for suspension, I only removed the front sway bar, and put v8 springs in the rear.

So put a descent tire on, and some springs that will transfer weight and it'll hook better than wasting your money on new wheels and wide tires.

hell yea, thank you. That's a good idea on the 17" cobras for the track, I'm going to do to exactly that. Evil281 I've never looked at your sig, but I would have the same rim setup, and man that looks sharp. What rear tire type/size do you run on the 10"ers.

bhuff, do you think the sidewall difference from my 35's to your 45's make a difference?

hell yea, thank you. That's a good idea on the 17" cobras for the track, I'm going to do to exactly that. Evil281 I've never looked at your sig, but I would have the same rim setup, and man that looks sharp. What rear tire type/size do you run on the 10"ers.

bhuff, do you think the sidewall difference from my 35's to your 45's make a difference?

i have NITTO NT555's on my 18's with a 285/35/18 in the rear and 265/35/18 on the 18x9 in front, still really good traction for street tires and i have NT555R's on the cobra rims for the rear and eagle f1's in the front