What should i do? keep the GT or buy a mach?

Stangdriver13

Jul 31, 2006
Right now I have a 00 Gt with about 70k on the odo. I also have a Honda CBR600rr. I'm really thinking about selling my bike and car to buy a mach 1 with around 30k on the odo. My car is paid off and I owe about 2k on the bike. I make a majority of my money over the summer since i'm still in school for another year. I think i could get 7-8 k for my car and at least 4k for my bike. I make around 9-10k over the summer months. Right now my i pay around $200 a month for my bike payment and insurance and that is a comfortable payment for me. I've been looking and I think i can pick up a really nice mach for 13K. I thought about modding my car but I just can't justify putting more money in my car that I won't get out of it. So i could pay off my bike and sell my GT and get a loan for a mach or sell both the bike and car and get a Mach outright. Reason i want to sell the bike is that I do not ride it as I used too since my bother got in a pretty serious accident last year (separated shoulder, major concussion, multiple scrapes and bruises, he flipped over a bmw that we are pretty sure pulled out in front of him but he doesn't remember anything from that day). Comments and inputs welcome....

• Sponsors (?)

I say go for it... You wont regret the upgrade AT ALL!!! Before you do, return your car to mostly stock, & sell what wont bolt on to the Mach to make some extra cash. But the parts that will swap over like the catback & X pipe, keep those so you will have a few mods once you get the Mach.....

If I do this I will detune everything that I can that will work on the mach. I will def. keep the x-pipe, x-cal2, and cobra rims. To the other reply, I would wait but my car already has 70k and I was thinking about more mods but the list I came up with was over 3 grand. I can't justify putting 3k in the car that I might get $500 extra when I sell it. I would like to sell it while my car still has some good value to it. Also when I graduate i'm buying a termi hands down. (I'm going to graduate with a degree in mechanical engineering) I would keep the mach for prolly a year and a half to two years so I could have some money saved up. It would also have better resale than my gt.

I wouldn't bother with buying a Mach now if you're going to buy a Termi when you graduate. Sell the bike and put the money in the bank for future funds toward the Termi. In the meantime I wouldn't do anything to the GT, just keep it as it is and save money toward the Termi. The more money you can put down toward it when you buy the better off you will be. Buying a Mach now would not be in your best long term interest and only fulfills a short term desire for more power. Just keep your long range goal in mind.

Ok thats the best dad advice I can give you.

i was in your same shoes. i had an 02 gt that i had but had the itch for a mach. me myself am still in school with about a year or so. well needless to say i came across a mach in the area and the dealer gave me a good trade in value for my car so needless to say i snapped at it. i seriously enjoy the mach more and the power that it has in stock trim is pretty amazing. my theory is you only live once!

I agree with all of your comments on this, but here are my justifications for wanting to do the swap:

1.) I get a newer car with about half the miles and an extra 50hp to the wheels after my mods would be switched over.

2.) I have put about 4k into my car in the last year and half or so. I just don't want to put any more money into it and of that 90% was on repairs not mods.

3.) I have a friend with a lt1 with some mods that thinks he could take me, we'll find out when we go to the track in a few weeks, also have another friend with an 05 GTO that I would love to be able to beat just one of those friends that always has to have something better than you and it gets on my nerves.

4.) I don't save money very well at all...If I have the cash I will end up spending it on worthless stuff that I really don't need.

5.) The resale value on my GT will be almost none if I put many more miles on it, if I keep it for another year and half lets say, I will be at 90k+.

6.) When I go to get a termi, there are some termi owners out there that will trade for a mach+cash, but almost none that will trade for a gt+cash.

7.) Really don't want to keep the bike anymore, no one to ride with and too expensive to ride just 5 months out of the year, granted I could pay it off this year and pay just $60 a month to have it...