What should I look for when purchasing a new carb + intake combo?

Sending my 84 to the paint shop soon, so I will be pulling the engine and sending in a rolling chassis. I considered doing a efi swap but decided against it. Just wanted to field some opinions and professional advice concerning. Beefing up my 84 with a new carb/intake and cam combo. I am looking to stay edelbrock but not totally married to that idea. For those who have beefed their carbed motors, what combo did you go with? Also what terms are important? (ie double pumper, hi-rise.....) If I can get close to 300RWHP I will be a happy camper.

This car will be a daily driver and will see some highway action. I dont plan on ever going to the track or anything. I just want to basically be fast on street tires and some intimidating at the same time.

Where I am at now
I have some bbk shorties and hpipe w/cats. 8:8 rear end with 373's. FMS Aluminum radiator and electric fan. Also have a motor out of 88 that is still strong that I will be placing back in the 84.

Will be getting
Subframe connectors (after paint).
Aluminum driveshaft.

Again just trying to get a feel for what others have tried and has been proven to work. So I am not looking for the definitive answer. But your answers will be greatly appreciated as I know this question is asked in some form alot. Just got exhausted searching and piecing together posts.

• Sponsors (?)

My car is not carb, but where I in your shoes, I'd get a Weiand Stealth, 625 Road Demon and TF1/E/B303 camshaft for your roller cam engine.

Without cylinder heads you won't get very close to 300 RWHP. Best you'll do without heads is about 240 RWHP IMO. To get that 300 RWHP you will need heads. AFR165's or even Thumper Heads. And get roller rockers too.

BTW - Your '88 shortblock with STOCK cam can make about 400 crank HP and that would deliver about 300RWHP. Car Craft HERE did an article on such a simple beast.

From many tests I've read, you can't beat an Ebrock RPM Air-Gap, however for year around street the RPM non-gap is only a hp or 2 behind it. Absolutely agree w/the Demon - AND about heads. You might be able to get something shopping various online classifieds - I got a set of lo mile Ebrock Perf 1.9's for $600, and they only flow about 5% less than the 2.02's from what I've read. All the rest of the goodies won't do you much good w/o heads, but those AFR's obviously are a fine addition of you can swing them.
You may also want to consider higher lift rockers on the stock cam. You can also find good used ones with a little shopping.

tjm73 said:
I'd get a Weiand Stealth

+1 for the Weiand intake. It's got a lower profile than the AirGap versions so it will have a better chance of fitting under your stock hood. Weiand is probably the only [carbed] intake that I would put on my cars.

I also say stick with your Edelbrock 600CFM carb. Vacuum secondaries will give you slightly better gas milage than a mechanical setup. Nothing wrong with a Demon carb, but I am partial to Edelbrock for durabilty / simplicity

When you pick your cam, make sure you choose one that has good vacuum at idle. It's not fun trying to hold your car at a stop light while the engine surges trying to create enough vacuum to run.

[If it does this with your g/f or wife] Tell them that the car isn't designed to sit still.

If you need cheap heads, try to find some aftermarket iron heads [sugguestion only] I don't know if Dart / World make cheap iron heads for the SB ford though.

Carb 650 double pumper if you are getting heads if staying with stock heads and not planning upgrading 600 double pumper. Nice thing about Holleys is if you need parts most part stores carry Holley stuff.

Intake I would go Weiland Stealth or Edelbrock RPM Air Gap.

Cam I would go B or E 303....or if going with heads I would go custom or call anderson motorsport.

Just my $.02