What the bleep did I do wrong?

Wi-Stanger

Oct 18, 2003
Wisconsin
Ok so I just changed the driver rear pads on my 2000 GT. I drove for a bit on the highway and noticed a strong smell. I pulled over at a gas station and the rotor I had just changed the pads on was realllllllllllllllly hot. I let it cool down for awhile and thought maybe it was just some debris that I had got on the rotor burning off. I drove back on a backroad going 45 instead of 60mph and everything seemed just fine. I had to run to my parents about 20 miles away. I got about 8 miles away doing about 60 the whole time with no stops and I heard this weird squealing squeeking noise from the back driver side. I pull over and my rotor was just glowing like a SOB. I sat there until it wasn't glowing and drove back home going 35-40. I stopped a couple times to check it but the rotor didn't heat up like that again at all. Anyone have any clue what happened? Did my caliper seize up somehow? They only have 37K miles... Also could the extreme heat have damaged my chrome rims? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

did you bleed the brakes real good? my friends once had the same problem, but he had air in the brake lines and it caused a malfunction, glowed red hot. he torched the rotor, had to get a new one. maybe it is the caliper... :shrug: i don't think you would've harmed the rims unless you notice anything suspicious like asbestos caked on to it

I took the car in and they told me both calipers "slides" (i think thats what he said) were bad and it wouldn't let the caliper decompress. Is that even possible when the other side was working perfectly fine???? Any brake guys know???

It's always a good idea to check that the sliders still slide and regrease them when changing pads. Don't feel bad, I learned the hard way, too. Went through two sets of rear pads and rotors before I figured it out.

They said that both siezed up which I don't really understand but I'll have to deal with it. How do you check to see if the sliders still slide? I don't know that much about it, sorry if it's a stupid question.

I assumed since you changed your rear pads that you adjusted the parking brake also. A misadjustment can cause one side or both to grab. Also did you get the cheap little tool to adjust the parking brake spring? They sell it at any auto parts store. This tool allows you to align the pads correctly in the caliper on the rear brakes.

The tool attaches to a 1/4" ratchet(i think) and allows you to take tension off the spring that engages when you use the parking brake. This allows you to seat the pad properly in the caliper. The tool (I can't remember the name of it) is aluminum and looks like a small cube with raised triangles on each corner. It's been a while since i did this. Hope the info helps though!