What the hell is this noise???

Sep 19, 2003
It almost sounds like a ticking noise, and it is coming from under the car on the driver's side. The best way to describe it would be like a baseball card stuck in a bicycle wheel. The noise is there constantly and gets louder with acceleration. I am not sure if it is an exhaust leak or not because I have never heard anything like this. Any thoughts on what it could be?

• Sponsors (?)

does it sound tinny? if so, its probably pinging, which is very bad. use your SCT to back off timing to no more than 14* (aka 4* advance). it could also be an exhaust leak. does the sound come from the engine area or right under you or behind you? engine=somthing in the engine, under you=exhaust manifold leak, behind you=exhaust tubing/clamp leak.

Well the noise is something that just started as of a week ago. I just pulled it into the bay at work, and the sound is definitely coming from the right (drivers) side of engine compartment. There is the normal engine noise, and then this new noise. It isn't coming from under the car, nor behind, just infront of me. Really starting to piss me off.......

I noticed the same sound coming from my 04 a couple of weeks ago. At that time the only mods to my car were nothing more than a k&n, jlt, flowmaster. My car is bone stock with oem settings. I happened to notice the noise while sitting next to a van in traffic. When I slightly reved my engine the noise sped up.

Since then I've added the o/r prochamber and predator. The noise isn't as bad but still there on occassion. From what I've seen on here, a lot of people are experiencing the same thing but no one has a real explanation for it. I plan to check my plugs this weekend to make sure none of them are backing out. I will lift the car and spend some time looking for any exhaust leaks, etc and see if I can't find out where this noise is coming from.

I know you said it gets louder with acceleration, is it based on the rpm's then? Does it quiet back down, or slow back down when you're going fast, but letting it coast? You have any trouble with those LT's leaking? Dust shield on your driver's side front wheel?
You said under the car, so I'm assuming its not the valves ticking.

I should have updated this when I found out what the problem was. It was a spark plug that wasn't seated properly in the head. The plug on the driver's side, nearest the firewall was loose about 2 turns. I actually found this out when reading through another thread and Kilgore Trout was the one that mentioned it. I would strongly suggest if you are hearing anything similar that you check your plugs immediately. Thanks again Mr. Trout! :nice: