What the hell.......

TylerDurden

Mar 30, 2005
I tried to install some 6.5's (speakers) in my doors tonight (on my 92 LX). Anyway, the damn things wouldnt fit because of the window rail. Are the damn door speakers brand specific or something? What does that vacant hole want me to feed it?

• Sponsors (?)

89MustangGX said:
I believe this is a common problem -- the speakers need to be more shallow than you have to fit. No idea on brand, but try taking a depth measurement on the door to the window rail and compare some.
:nice:

89MustangGX said:
I believe this is a common problem -- the speakers need to be more shallow than you have to fit. No idea on brand, but try taking a depth measurement on the door to the window rail and compare some.
Or, if your crafty enough, you could make some wooden spacers and redo your door panel to fit like I did. :D I put 8" Subs in my door.
581377_74_full.jpg

581377_67_full.jpg

There's hardly any depth for better speakers in our doors. You'll need to make spacers for most aftermarket speakers... MDF is the preferred material to use. 1/2" was enough for my MB Quarts, although some speakers with really beefy magnets might need 3/4".

You can also find shallow speakers meant to fit in tight spaces, but if you can get ahold of a jigsaw making spacers is no big deal.