Fox what thermostat to run in the summer

I mean that’s typically what happens. Modern fuel injected engine is designed to run around 200-210 degrees. That’s enough to (almost) boil water.

These engines run efficient at that temp range. I don’t mean fuel economy, but in terms of driving off moisture and contaminants from the oil, proper engine clearances and other factors that contribute to a long-living engine.
I dont know why I didnt know that they were meant to operate around that range, I thought it was cooler.

I seem to remember someone pointing that out to me recently and it didnt even register. I guess I was operating under the assumption that I need it to run as cool as possible because when I add AC back in I know it's going to add a few degrees

• Sponsors (?)

I dont know why I didnt know that they were meant to operate around that range, I thought it was cooler.

I seem to remember someone pointing that out to me recently and it didnt even register. I guess I was operating under the assumption that I need it to run as cool as possible because when I add AC back in I know it's going to add a few degrees
I don't even think my ac works would love it to since it's going be 90s today

Reactions: 1 user

It’s one thing if this is a race motor you operate for one season and tear down. Not enough time to do do any sort of damage before it gets pulled apart anyway.

But yeah, for modern EFI engines too cold can be a bad thing.

Of course the downside is that the underhood temps tend to creep up, but there are ways to control that via venting or a big fan. A lot of times this excess heat soak is generated by the exhaust and has nothing to do with the coolant temps.

Reactions: 3 users
I have a 180 thermostat but my e-fans don't kick in until 200. So when it is hot out the car runs pretty steady around 200.

If I am cruising on the highway on a colder day the temp will stay lower. Been running this way for 5 years with no issues. I get 21/22 MPG on the highway

Reactions: 1 users
It’s one thing if this is a race motor you operate for one season and tear down. Not enough time to do do any sort of damage before it gets pulled apart anyway.

But yeah, for modern EFI engines too cold can be a bad thing.

Of course the downside is that the underhood temps tend to creep up, but there are ways to control that via venting or a big fan. A lot of times this excess heat soak is generated by the exhaust and has nothing to do with the coolant temps.
Well, I can always put the 180 stat back in if it stays too cool. But, that hasn't been a problem lately, haha

was I asking in here about my 83 gt hood scoop that was put on backwards to act as a ram air for the carb and I wanna use it for heat to escapes and I plan on putting on my 91 gt I made a template to figure out where I need to drill and cut not sure if anyone has done this would love to see pictures sorry if it's the wrong topic

was I asking in here about my 83 gt hood scoop that was put on backwards to act as a ram air for the carb and I wanna use it for heat to escapes and I plan on putting on my 91 gt I made a template to figure out where I need to drill and cut not sure if anyone has done this would love to see pictures sorry if it's the wrong topic
Probably should have started your own thread, but oh well.
I added a factory scoop to my 79. I measured and marked with masking tape where the air cleaner stud was straight across to the fenders. I removed the air cleaner housing and stud, and found where that line centered on the hood. I had a thick poster board pattern of the scoop with a circle of the outer edge of the housing needed to be for clearance. Then I drilled the holes for the studs and cut a big circle out of the hood with a jig saw. The circle was over four layers of masking tape and the saw foot was taped for scratch avoidance.
As early Fox hoods were easier to find than now, so I just almost chickened out, and kept my shorts clean.
It looked stock unless it was next to a GT and you looked very closely. For a backwards install, I’d follow the same process. The clearance hole could be smaller for vent holes.
I’m not sure where my uploaded pics went.

Probably should have started your own thread, but oh well.
I added a factory scoop to my 79. I measured and marked with masking tape where the air cleaner stud was straight across to the fenders. I removed the air cleaner housing and stud, and found where that line centered on the hood. I had a thick poster board pattern of the scoop with a circle of the outer edge of the housing needed to be for clearance. Then I drilled the holes for the studs and cut a big circle out of the hood with a jig saw. The circle was over four layers of masking tape and the saw foot was taped for scratch avoidance.
As early Fox hoods were easier to find than now, so I just almost chickened out, and kept my shorts clean.
It looked stock unless it was next to a GT and you looked very closely. For a backwards install, I’d follow the same process. The clearance hole could be smaller for vent holes.
I’m not sure where my uploaded pics went.
I'll post mine in a few I just have the pic of the hood it came off of

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220509-090152_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220509-090152_Gallery.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 40