What to replace while motor is out?????

1992mustangLX

Jun 13, 2007
Ok so I am pulling my motor soon and I have a list of thing I am replacing but wanted to know if there is anything else I should do while it out. The things I am replacing are as follows:
Oil pan, oil pan gasket, motor mounts, clutch, resurfaced flywheel, rear main seal, throwout bearing.

Someone told me that it may be a good idea to replace the rod bearings while i am in there. The motor runs great and recently did a H/C/I swap and its runs strong with no issues. So should I take the advice and do the rod bearings too? Is there anything else that should be done while i have everything out? Want to make sure im not forgetting something. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

is there a reason why you are pulling it out? are you just looking to fix some oil leaks? If there is on reason then why waste the time.

regardless the list you have is good. I agree with p/s steering hoses, bushings etc. easier to get to while motor is out.

Well I mentioned in the initial post that I am replacing the motor mounts and oil pan and gasket.I am also planning on cleaning the block and painting it to give it a cleaner look. So that is why I am pulling the motor, I know you can do the oil pan and mounts in the car but I had to take the tranny out to do the clutch, flywheel, and rear main seal anyways. It so easy to pull when the tranny is out so why not take it out and work on it opposed to crawling under the car and doing it. I will be able to clean the engine bay while I am in there too.

I agree with others on here as well. If you are going to replace rod bearings you are just a few steps from rebuilding it anyways. I would just leave them alone for now.

I'd consider using a canton 7 quart pan, with matching windage tray, pick up and dipstick.
Not going to be cheap, but windage trays have been proven to work well on 5.0 mustangs because of where the crank sits.
Having an extra couple of courts of oil don't hurt either.