What will this engine give?

Mellqvist

May 4, 2005
Stock 1969 351w with Edelbrock Performer cam and intake, hooker full length headers -> 2.5" dual system. Edelbrock Performer 600cfm carburetor, MSD ready to run distributor.

What kind of power can I expect with this combo?

I've tried to search for this, but haven't found any thread about it, so sorry if its already been up.

Regards from Sweden!

• Sponsors (?)

Mellqvist said:
Stock 1969 351w with Edelbrock Performer cam and intake, hooker full length headers -> 2.5" dual system. Edelbrock Performer 600cfm carburetor, MSD ready to run distributor.

What kind of power can I expect with this combo?

I've tried to search for this, but haven't found any thread about it, so sorry if its already been up.

Regards from Sweden!

What heads do you have? The 69 windsor with the 4barrel heads produce 310hp stock. I had almost the identical setup as what you described except for a bigger carb and a little more aggressive cam and we had about 380 out of it. It's all going to depend on what heads you have and if anything at all has been done to them.

I'm pretty sure its the 4barrel heads, but how do I really know? Theyre stock but I plan to port them a little just to smooth up the channels from rough edges.

As the engine is now, it has a 750cfm Holley on it, completely choking it when i step on it..

motor12.jpg

This is what it looks like right now, I'm about to lift it out of the car maybe next weekend.

Is there any way to find out wich version I have without opening the engine? (I am taking it apart, but still)

So, what will the 4bbl version give? 290-300hp? Had hoped for a little more.

and the 2bbl?

danny clemens said:
Both 2 and 4 bbl windsors have the same heads. The 4 bbl has different pistons to give it more compression.

absolutely correct.

in 69 the windsors were rated 250hp for the 2v version and 290hp for the 4v version. the only difference is the pistons, even the cams are the same.

2 barrel motors had valve reliefs in the pistons and the 4 barrel motors had flat top pistons, which increased the compression ratio. Thats the only difference besides the intake and carb. Your cam and intake is limiting your hp figures. Go with a CompCams XE262H and if you have a manual trans you can step up a bit higher. A Weind Stealth intake or a performer RPM will help for an intake and not lose too much lower rpms. If hp figures are what you want, go with a Vic Jr intake but you will lose some lower rpm torque.

Ok, first thing: English is not my primary language so please be patient with my spelling :)

I wonder if I dare to put in a performer RPM cam kit and the RPM intake manifold without doing anything with the engine except that. If you understand what I'm saying. Just install the cam / lifters and the intake.

I've done a compression-test (I think its called that) and I got 12-13 on all cylinders (if that info gives you anything). Spark plugs looks good, no problems there.

Oil pressure and watertemperature is good.

The engine runs good and works fine! Do I need to do anything with the stock heads if I install the RPM kit?

Other than that the car is equipped with an FMX and 8" rear thats rebuilt for 400hp.

And one final question, will the RPM intake and a Edelbrock 1405 600cfm + 3" high air-filter fit under the stock hood?

I'm not building a strip car, but I want more power at the red lights ;)

Regards from a newbie in Sweden

:SNSign:

iskwezm said:
you gonna have to make sure the heads are up to the RPM cam,its a decent sized cam, so make sure the valve springs arent too weak. I had the RPM in my 289 and was pretty good, idle was a little rough, but better then the comp 270 i had before.

Ok, I have the stock 69 heads, so I guess they wont do the trick? But I will buy new heads in the future.

What about the hood, will it work or do I need to buy new one?

the heads are ok for your build (there are no 2v or 4v windsor heads, so quit thinking that), you just need to get valvesprings that match the cam. Keep the 750 holley and tune it, sell the edelbrock 600 to someone else. Go with the performer rpm intake, or a weiand stealth intake. The performer won't make much more power than the stock intake. Hood clearance will be close, but a drop base air cleaner should be all you need for it to fit. Horsepower with the performer rpm cam and intake, 750 holley properly tuned, and long tube headers should be around 320 hp at the flywheel, 360-ish ft-lbs of torque. It should be a good street engine with a broad powerband and good manners, while still packing a punch.