What would cause grinding getting into reverse?

IndyBlk5.0

Nov 24, 2003
New Whiteland, IN
I have a hard time sometimes getting into reverse gear, it grinds, so what i do i feather it and i can hear the gear slowing down, and when it stops, i put into reverse, this happens sometimes and others it doesnt. I do have a squeaky t/o bearing which i plan on fixing when i pull my motor. Could the t/o bearing make it do it? it is also sometimes hard to get into other gears without grinding though. is this a syncro prob or t/o prob? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Well, don't know much about tranny's but if it was only doing it in reverse I would say maybe a syncro, but since you say sometimes all the gears, makes me think TO bearing. Next time, when it don't go in reverse, put it in 1st and pull forward a couple inches and try it again, works for my car, and my dad's toyota pickup.

P.S.- Any dyno numbers for that setup?

that makes sense! i remember when i couldnt get into first, i would just shift it into third, feather the clutch a bit, then put it back into 1st and it would be fine, it only seemed to do it when it was warmed up (problems getting into other gears without grinding) and im not sure if cold/warm affected the reverse gear or not...

ive got the exact same problem yall are describing....after driving around for a while in and out of first gear its almost impossible to get into gear...unless i really push hard...but if i put it in neutral and let out the clutch and push it in real hard it usually goes in gear...or if the car rolls at all

The answer's in all the posts - reverse isn't synchronized. So when you de-clutch and try to put it in gear, those gears are still spinning -- result is lots of grind because the gears are still spinning when you try to mesh them. You have 2 choices -- 1) put it in first, then reverse. Since first is synchronized, doing so allows it to engage without grinding, and putting it in gear stops all the gear motion, so when you pull it out of first, it slips right into reverse because the gears aren't moving; or 2) just wait a few seconds with the clutch pushed in -- the gears will stop spinning and it'll go into reverse quietly. Slipping into a forward gear first, and then into reverse seems to be the easiest and quickest.

88GTtom said:
before i ever go into reverse, i put it in first ant then reverse because if i just put it in reverse, it would grind. first then reverse :nice:

My first car was an 83 GLX w/SROD(definately wasnt my tranny of choice)...had to put in 1st to prevent the reverse gear from grinding, second car is an 87 GT T5...same exact thing, I have to hit first then switch to reverse to prevent the grinding, same with my freinds old 87 GT. Must be one of those things Ford missed.

hmmm....Is that an invite to a race...... We can do that for fun..... this spring we can go to IRP and have a blast. I think it would be a very good race actually. We have similar mods. But you are lighter by several hunerd pounds and thats just body weight not to mention the cars weight differnces .......LOL

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your not fat at all shawn! aaaaaaaaaahahahahhahaha your going to kill me now i know it but common man, your really strong , unfortuently that doesnt help when your in the car at the race track! my skinny azz will be light as a feather going down that race track! hehehehe

Yeah now its on! Let me tell everyone about you fighting with the head bolts ROFL!! 65Ft # and wimpy couldnt break em loose AHAhahaaaa

Seriously we will hit the track this spring once we tune that bad boy in. I deff want to see what cam is in that motor. It sounded good.

I GOT A FEW!!!!!!!! you cant deny me of that common i got some of them atleast. who got skillz huh? ripping it all apart down to heads in 2 1/2 hours? herm? ya thats what i thought! alls i have to say about the 65 ft pounds is..... your overtorque EVERYTHING i had to use a pry bar on some of the stuff you did with just a ratchet. :notnice: :owned: :flame:

hahahhaahhaahaah Im the human torq machine LOL And yes you did get a few but those few WORE you out rofl You had to go take a nap ahahaa That was col you took it all apart so quick. You learned fast.