what would you say this is worth?

351 82GT

Founding Member
Mar 19, 2002
1988 mustang GT, 5 speed (all stock) with 130k miles. Here is what's wrong with it:

wrecked front end (needs both fenders, hood, whole front nose clip) frame is not bent or rusted.

Second gear syncro needs replaced
No heater and fuel gauge does not work
Interior is fair condition
Tires need replaced

The engine still runs strong and does not smoke and brakes were just replaced all the way around.

If you were someone looking to buy a 5.0 to fix up and not worried about the front end damage, what would be your fair offer? Be honest and reasonable please.

• Sponsors (?)

Honest and reasonable is a few hundred dollars at the most. Let's be honest. You're buying a 23 year old car that's pretty beat with well over 100,000 miles on it. It's only redeeming quality is the engine isn't blown up and it has decent brakes.

Agreed. $250 absolute max as a parts car. You can buy a nice car with a blown up engine for $500, drop a new bullet in it and be on your way for under a grand. That car will need body, paint, a transmission/rebuild, plus all the other crap, before it's going to be worth anything.

Wow..$250...that's it? I don't know about where you guys are from but around here you can probably get $500 for it if you took it to a recycle/scrap yard. The reason I asked this question was because I actually sold this car for $800 and my lowest offer was $600. I guess I made out on the deal then..lol

If I sold just the trans/motor and rearend I could get at least $700

Engine...$300
Rear......$275/300
Trans.....$150

glad you made a profit, but yeah. i wouldnt pay a dime over 250 for a car in that shape and that would only be if I needed a donor car for a 5.0 swap.

In this neck of the woods, those parts would bring:

Tired 5.0 = $2-300
Tired 8.8 with stock gears = $75
Tire T-5 with bad synchos = $75-100

I currently have the opportunity to buy a 200,000 mile 94 GT. Body is decent. Rough interior. Bad trans. The yard has offered him $400. He will sell it to me for $500. I just don't see the value in it.

In this neck of the woods, those parts would bring:

Tired 5.0 = $2-300
Tired 8.8 with stock gears = $75
Tire T-5 with bad synchos = $75-100

I currently have the opportunity to buy a 200,000 mile 94 GT. Body is decent. Rough interior. Bad trans. The yard has offered him $400. He will sell it to me for $500. I just don't see the value in it.

Around here, you won't touch an 8.8 for less than $250 or a T-5 for less than $150(bad syncos or not). When I was looking fo ran 8.8 for my '82 I couldn't find one for less than $275 and that was stock gears with worn clutch packs. It's harder to find older 5.0 parts because the junk yards are not keeping them around as long. They are sending them to the crusher a lot sooner. That's not just mustangs, it's all the older cars.