WHAT'S A 427 WORTH??

Nemesis67

Jul 3, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
I'm talking to a guy who says he has a 69 Mercury with a 427 in it. It's not the SOHC! Does anyone have a clue what this car might be worth? I'm not very well versed in the "FE" series of motors, but I thought the 427 was only produced between 1963 and 67. Any inputs?:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

It all depends on what particular 427 it is. The earlier 427's are worth less, the later ones more. I've seen decent '63 427 long blocks in the $1,000-$2,000 range. I can't remember the last time I saw a later 427, but a local Ford guy sold one about 5 years ago for $8,500 but it was far from stock. It had a NASCAR 396 crank, LeMans rods, tunnel port heads and manifold and was never in a running car. The parts were purchased by a local Ford dealer when Ford sold all their hi-po stuff about 20+ years ago. I'd be very careful when your looking at FE parts since 390's and 427's look a lot alike at first glance (they even have the same bore size). Be careful if you're buying one that it is what the seller says it is.

I haven't met this guy in person yet, just phone calls. He has a lot of cars in his lot and I just wanted to look through to see what he has. But he told me about this car with the 427. He doesn't sell parts, whole cars are more his thing. He also has a 4speed 67-69 cougar and a 65 fastback. He doesn't seem too interested in selling the fastback or cougar at this time. But as the old saying goes; "Everying has it's price".

OK, but that still doesn't answer the question. How much is a 427 worth? Even though it isn't a SOHC, would any one out there be willing to buy a whole car with a 427 in it for around 4K? With the possibility of also getting a 9" rear and a usable transmission for another car. Like my 67 Fback.

The price would depend on which 427 it was and the condition. If it is a good side oiler 427 with the original intake and carb I'm sure it would be worth $4,000. If somebody wanted the specific date codes for a numbers matching car it would probably be worth more to them. There is a Ford FE forum but I don't know the address. Those guys could tell you what it would be worth.

The 427 was made in 1968 also. It came in GT-E Cougars the first part of the year before they switched over to 428's. Ford literature says the 427 came in the Mustang in 68 but I don't think there are any documented cases. I don't know if it came in any other cars or not.

You can tell a 427 pretty easy by the cross-bolted main bolt heads sticking out of the block just above the oil pan.

if this 69 ford has the original engine and it is indeed a big block in the 420-something range it is most likely either a 428 or 429. the only way it could be a 427 is if it was transplanted from something else.

back in the early 90's i had the opportunity to buy a wooden 60's chris craft with a 427 side oiler for 3 grand but i had no way to come up with the cash. if i had been able to buy that boat it would be worth a pretty penny today.

danny clemens said:
The price would depend on which 427 it was and the condition. If it is a good side oiler 427 with the original intake and carb I'm sure it would be worth $4,000.

I hate to say it because it just reinforces the overpricing, but the 427 sideoiler bare blocks alone are going for $4000+ on Ebay. That's just a bare block core.......not running and not including any kind of car.

This is what the asking price for a couple of 427's on another site.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COMPLETE 1968 427 FE engine. Standard bore 1968 C8AE-A block casting as used in Cougar GT-E except machined as a centeroiler marine instead of a sideoiler. June 1967 block casting date, December 1967 short block assembly date stamp. Low hours of under 4000 RPM use, removed running Spring of 2005 and still fully assembled. Never rebuilt, used in FRESH WATER only with clean water jackets. Standard automotive Left Hand rotation. Includes standard nodular iron crankshaft, C7AE-B 13/32" bolt CJ rods with TRW forged standard pistons, C7JE-A heads, 1965 PI solid lifter C3AZ 6250-T cam and lifters, adjustable rocker arms, pushrods, iron 'T' intake, crank damper, iron front cover and pan, pentroof valve covers, Mallory dual point tach drive distributor, AFB carb, HD sealed starter, manual trans flywheel. Solid block with NO weld repairs. Ready to bolt in and run. $4500 plus shipping.

1965 427 engine also available for $2500. Inquire.

Located in SE Michigan. Email or call Steve at (313) 805-4770

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sold