What's a good replacment alternator?

66 Tiger

Jul 13, 2003
Virginia
My alternator pretty much died this week. :notnice: The battery kept draining every night & since it was old I replaced it. Surprise, the next morning it was dead to! :mad: When I checked the voltage today while the car was running it was at 13 volts. That seems kinda low to me. Also, by the time I got home, the car wouldn't even start. Am I wrong in thinking that the alternator is bad? What would be a good replacment alternator? Thanks....

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks.... I have not checked the glovebox or the visor lights yet. The fact still remains though that within appx 20 miles on the highway ( in 4th gear ) the battery lost voltage to the point that it would not start right after turning the car off. That's gota be a bad alternator, right?

Sounds like a fried alternator to me. Not charging especially after highway driving. Is this on your '86? I replaced mine with a stock (rebuilt???) unit from my local auto parts guy. Been on the car for over a year and no problems even when I had a stereo system in the car with a 200w amp. My car has power everything too w/ A/C. I think I paid $60 for it, returning the stock core. Depends what you plan on in the future(elec fan, pullies, big stereo, ignition, etc).

Your alternator diodes are fried. Same thing happened to me. When the diode fails, it allows reverse flow from the battery to the alternator with the engine off. I'm sure mine died because with u/d pulleys, it never maintained a full battery charge. Alternators aren't designed to charge a depleted battery, they are to maintain a fully charged battery while everyday driving with the lights, heater, air, etc. operating.

Being an old and lazy s.o.b., I installed a powermaster 140amp one wire alternator in my '93. Fits the mount with no modifications, one wire to the battery (supplied with the kit), tape up the two plugs and tie them back out of the way. It took longer to make it look decent than to install the whole thing. (and the stock volt gauge still works, as it's not tied into the alternator circuit). Lots of choices out there, powermaster, 3g, paperformance, etc. Stock sucks on pulleys.

makarov said:
Being an old and lazy s.o.b., I installed a powermaster 140amp one wire alternator in my '93. Fits the mount with no modifications, one wire to the battery (supplied with the kit), tape up the two plugs and tie them back out of the way. It took longer to make it look decent than to install the whole thing. (and the stock volt gauge still works, as it's not tied into the alternator circuit).

Did you have to use a thicker wire beside the one the kit came with to get a better charge?

No, blue347, the wire that was supplied is about the size of my little finger, no heat, full charge, I checked everything with a multimeter. I have had no problems at all (I'm knocking hard on wood here) for the 8 months I've had it. Like I said, there are a lot of options out there, 3g, pa performance, etc. Prices vary. I just chose what would work for me, and as it happens, it's pretty much perfect. Now, BEFORE I die, I'm getting my h/c/i combo that I've researched to the hilt for nights on end. One good pass and I'll be happy. What a great invention, the automobile.

i think ti all comes down to your pocket book....to me the 3g and powermaster(example) are about same 130 amp 150 amp..one is just easier then the other i personally will go with th powermaster 150 ...dont feel like doing any mods just install and go...150 amp is plenty

Charge the battery and run your car by Sears or AutoZone or PepBoys before you buy anything. They can load test (for free) the battery/alternator with it in the car; confirm it's the alternator before you shell the bucks out. If you buy a replacement locally, run it by the same outlets - they can bench test it for you before you put it on the car to be sure it's working. I recommend Pa-Performance -- great quality and customer service. Not the cheapest, but a good value.

I had the powermaster one wire alternator. I was really unsatisfied with it. You had to be higher up in the rpms to get a decent charge, for me anyways and got maybe 11-12 at idle. I just didnt trust the thing at all. BTW, this was with an overdrive pulley on it too.

Ive since replaced it with the Alterstart and have no regrets whatsoever.