Whats included in the 80k tune up?

• Sponsors (?)

thats all I know of 2, I got a message from svt the other day saying it was time for the 80k tune up but I dont go there for my work so I didnt call and ask em what you should do, but I think you have the idea, I was just wandering the same thing if theres anything else needed

Call up your dealership's service department and they will be happy to tell you or look in your owner's manual. I believe there is a "maintenance chart" somewhere in the back of the owner's manual that outlines the recommended jobs included for an 80,000 check-up (as well as the other pre-determined mileage intervals).

FYI, this "tune-up" will probably cost a few hundred dollars at the dealership...

Likely possibilities are: spark plugs, air filter, oil change, brake pad inspection, cooling system flush/hose inspection, tranny fluid, differential fluid, etc.

You could probably handle most of these tasks yourself if you are mechanically inclined. It will save you a bunch of money too! :D

COBRA90GT said:
You could probably handle most of these tasks yourself if you are mechanically inclined. It will save you a bunch of money too! :D
Yup most of which if you are a car person you check and replace these items on a regular basis.

My car has 41,000 miles on it and all of the above items have been changed at least once.

My 01 has 50k miles on it. Things I've done so far by myself.

Washed and recharged my K&N
New NGK plugs
Replaced Fuel Filter (had the dealer do this. I didn't want to mess with it, and it was around $40)
Fresh tranny fluid was put in during my clutch change.

I'm not sure how long the coolant is supposed to last on these but I may flush the system soon.

I'm also still on my stock brake pads. :banana:

My 98 currently has 76,000 miles on it and I got it when it had 54,000. The first day/weekend I brought it home from the dealer here is what I did:

1) Coolant flush/replace (water wetter added)
2) Tranny oil change
3) Engine oil/filter change
4) New PCV valve
5) New accessory belt
6) New spark plugs/wires
7) New fuel filter
8) Cleaned IMRCs/replaced actuator (the next weekend)
9) New air filter (K&N added a week later)
10) Inspect brake pads/rotors (mine were OK)
11) New battery (the posts coming out of the battery were loose!)

I don't know what Ford does for 80,000 miles, but I wasn't about pay someone to do a job I can't be sure got done, let alone done right.

Hell yeah I did. The car idled smoother, had better throttle response, pulled harder all the way to redline (especially 6000rpm+), and ran a bit cooler on the ol' "NORMAL" temp guage. Find a weekend, grab a buddy, some beer (only if you're 21+ kids :) ), the shop manual, and get to work!

Looking at the Haynes manual and depending on what you've done in the past and service intervals it looks like:
drivebelt
air filter
fuel filter
transmission fluid/lube
differential lube
brake fluid
coolant-drain,flush,refill
check other fluids (ex.-power steering)

And to answer someone's question above about the need to change coolant--it "wears out". The chemistry of the stuff eventually becomes weak and can cause the electrolysis process to form deposits in the engine and radiator. The thermostat can get gunked up. The antifreeze level can rise and not give enough protection in cold weather. Its a neglected service (much like brake fluid) that will eventually cause you problems. Put this one in the "pay me now or pay me later" category.

probably includes:
oil change..rotate&balance..trans svc..cooling sys flush..air&fuel filter change..throttle body svc..pcv change..overall inspection....call the dealership to be sure...but anyways...most of that stuff can be done by yourself and can save you a couple hundered dollars...

O.D. Showtime said:
I do all my work myself, but I was wondering how you clean the IMRC's. Could you list the steps involved and what to use/do to clean them? It'd be helpful, thanks.

Try running a search for it, I think someone posted a FAQ or step-by-step "how-to" for cleaning the IMRC's...it was posted on a couple different forums I think, believe it was a PDF document. :shrug:

Here's a somewhat related thread over on Corral, just search for "IMRC" or "cleaning" and other various keywords/phrases:

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=208693