what's so special(Fox SVT)?

KurtPB

May 15, 2006
Lorimor, IA
the other day, the foosball team and i(highschool) all went to subway and when i left, i seen a pretty sharp red fox pull out and went in the same direction so i did what any teenager would do... i took my turbo shadow up behind him and sped up-slowed down-sped up-slowed down. we ended up coming up to a stop sign and he showed me what i was messing with.... there was a slight curve and when he hammered it(i'm assuming he hammered it, i dont know much about 5.0s), he whipped the rear end without a hitch. so i continue to follow him up to the next stop sign and notice a badge on the hatch, i orignally assumed it was a GT but it turned out being an SVT. it looked like an '88 or around there with a shaker-style hood. i was just curious what was so special about an SVT - more performance oriented than the GT or what? thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

the fox 5.0 cobra is a sweet car. I am pretty sure its got a different intake than the GT's, but I dont know what else. I think they make like around 290 horse? Maybe a bit less.

68torinogt said:
there is no telling what was done too it!! i had a gt that would do a nasty burnout but was crappy. but if it were a cobra in say 93 its worth some cash

i wasnt questioning what was done to it and what kind of burnout it could do, i just didnt know what was different between a GT and SVT.

brin0357 said:
the fox 5.0 cobra is a sweet car. I am pretty sure its got a different intake than the GT's, but I dont know what else. I think they make like around 290 horse? Maybe a bit less.

i kind of figured that they breathed better but i didnt know if it was in the heads or what.

'93 Cobra 235hp 280tq

Engine:
GT-40 heads with Crane roller rocker arms (1.7 ratio)

High Flow Cobra intake Plenum (Cast GT-40) and lower manifold

24 lb/hr fuel injectors (18 lb/hr on GT, fuel pump may be a higher capacity also but not confirmed)

Different cam (matched to heads and intake plenum)

Larger throttle body and mass air (75mm)

Transmission:
Heavy Duty input/output bearings

High performance Valaeo clutch

Suspension:
Lighter springs front and rear with stiffer (larger sway bars)

17" Turbine Blade Wheels

Goodyear Eagle ZR245-45 tires

Different shock valving

10.5 inch rear disk brakes

Interior:
Floor Mats with "Cobra" wording

140 MPH Speedometer

Exterior:
Snake and "COBRA" Emblems

Smoothed side, front and rear fascias (below beltline)

Older style, restriped taillight assemblies

Front air inlet above bumper with "Mustang" emblem inset.

Stainless exhaust terminations (LX style)

KurtPB said:
i wasnt questioning what was done to it and what kind of burnout it could do, i just didnt know what was different between a GT and SVT.

i kind of figured that they breathed better but i didnt know if it was in the heads or what.
A '93 mustang gt is a hopped production line car. A '93 svt cobra is a rare, car. Only fox body that svt had a hand in.

For example, less than 1,000 (5.0)svt cobras were made in 1993, 7496(4.6) in 1996.

93 Cobras ran Mid 13's @ 100-103ish.

They were rated at 235 hp, which is more like rwhp than bhp. The 93 rating methods for fords changed.

Gears and exhaust would put those in the low 13's.

The heads were the P heads and were only better than the E7's....the Intake is a GT-40 based and they had a cam similar to a B cam.

GT's are totally different. Stock they would put down anywhere from 175-195 rwhp. Ran high 14's stock and low 14's with exhaust and gears.

93' was the first year of the SVT cobra and the last year of the fox body. Thats why they are so special. NO more SVT either. I am the proud owner of a vibrant red one(which is up for sale). I just removed the AFR 165 competition heads and went from a 12.6@108 to a 13.2 103. Still a fast car and still one of the best in my opinion. There were 4993 93 cobras made.Only in the colors teal, black and vibrant red. there were also 107 limited edition cobra R's. R stands for race of course and those cars had no air conditioning, no radio and no back seat.