whats wrong with a MII suspension??

• Sponsors (?)

http://corner-carvers.com/wiki/index.php?Vintage Mustang Tech

"First of all forget about the MII setup for anything but comfortable street driving or drag. The arms are too short (large RC movement) and the spindles and associated parts are flimsy and just plain "small". Great for a street rod and will steer and drive niceely. I don't know what the ackermann and scrub and scrub radius work out too, but IMO its not a road track suspension. Even if it is okay, for the amount of effort involved you may as well do it right. "

If you are going to spend big bucks and cut up the car, then call Griggs and do it right.

Edit to add: That is not my personal opinion but is one arguement against the MII setup. I realize, it can be a good way to make room for a larger engine. :) Didn't mean to be so negative.

i used to own a M11 that i installed a 302 in,which wasn't easy.tried a couple of sets of headers,unsucessfully.bought special frame,motor mounts and an oilpan and pick-up too. had to run exhaust manifolds and duals out of the passenger side of the car(gas tank i believe).......but this car would DRIVE circles around my 67 with everything new(except the steering box,which wasn't reproduced at the time,but it was rebuilt)...i'm not wanting formula one handling just a decent driving car with SOME road feel. i just don't see how ya can compare the original suspension/steering that has roots in the 50's with a mustang II suspension that was designed at least 10 years later...

shelbyseven said:
p.s. what is rc movement
rc is roll center. Without trying to sound like a broken record, try and find a copy of Herb Adams Chassis Engineering. It's a good read, not as difficult to follow as Carroll Smith's Tune to Win (though I recommend that one after reading Adams). And while you're at it, might as well check out Fred Puhn's How to Make Your Car Handle. The issue is that the roll center location can move both vertically and laterally if the control arm lengths are not properly matched. A changing roll center will make a car feel slightly unstable.

i was looking into herb's book but i havent spotted it locally yet...

But the arms are too short eh? that makes sense...

I was convinced on using a fox body macpherson, but now im not too sure...