12/18 city/hwy

displacement: 357w
Intake: Weiand Stealth
Heads: CNC early ford large valves
Cam: 268 xtreme comp cam
Carb: Edelbrock/carter 750cfm

Tranny: Tremec 3550
Rear: 8in with 373 gears

So my engine won't stop squeakin and the front seal leak its developed that won't stop, even though I changed the seal twice, makes me think my crank isn't straight. Anyway I'm gonna build me a new engine and considering what gas prices are like I need to figure out a way to improve my miles per gallon while gaining the ability to smoke my friends 05 GT at the track. the lost torque would kinda suck with that though. I had a 302 before with basically the same components except with pocket ported gt40 heads. That engine got 13/20 mpg. Anyway what do you guys think?

• Sponsors (?)

the old 289 in my 66 coupe got 17 city 26 hwy. stock four bbl intake, 4100 autolite carb, and sig erson viking 100h cam, 3spd, 2.80 gears, and small tube headers with dual exhaust. i hope to do better when i get back to building the car again.

chepsk8 said:
Gas mileage?

Too much lead in my foot.

I hear you there, I would guess mine would do 20 or better if I stayed off the pedal. My normal tankfull will give me high teens combined city/hyway, but I'm never real gentle with it.

70 ragtop
351w 4bbl
fmx/ 3.00 gears.

also higher compression is good for mileage as well. 10:1 or up to 10.5:1 is possible with good gas and aluminum heads. use coatings everywhere you can. piston skirts, piston domes and combustion chamber faces, use coated bearings also. if you're going to build another 351w comsider doing a long rod version as that will also help get you better mileage as well. check out www.speedomotive.com for their "long arm" windsor. also run as mild of a cam as you can. you should be able to get a hydraulic roller with high lift and low duration and low overlap. if you can i'd try to run fuel injection of some sort, even a TBI system like the holley commander 950 system will yield better fuel economy than a carb. if you need machine work done check out sunset racecraft here in lubbock, they are on Texas ave and about 26th or 27th.

if you want i can help you out some as long as i don't have to do any heavy lifting, since i have a real bad back.

i made a mistake and decide to head up to knotts car show without changing my jets from the last time i went to the races... i ended up getting 12-13 mpg on the freeway with my 347 w/ aluminum heads with 4.11 gears and AOD but i was reving about 2900-3000rpms in O/D the whole way up which didn't help at all:rlaugh:

bnickel said:
also higher compression is good for mileage as well. 10:1 or up to 10.5:1 is possible with good gas and aluminum heads. use coatings everywhere you can. piston skirts, piston domes and combustion chamber faces, use coated bearings also. if you're going to build another 351w comsider doing a long rod version as that will also help get you better mileage as well. check out www.speedomotive.com for their "long arm" windsor. also run as mild of a cam as you can. you should be able to get a hydraulic roller with high lift and low duration and low overlap. if you can i'd try to run fuel injection of some sort, even a TBI system like the holley commander 950 system will yield better fuel economy than a carb. if you need machine work done check out sunset racecraft here in lubbock, they are on Texas ave and about 26th or 27th.

if you want i can help you out some as long as i don't have to do any heavy lifting, since i have a real bad back.

Hey thanks. I may take you up on that.

Stock 2v 302 out of station wagon w/ crappy gear in rear and c4: 22 m.p.g. avg.(never over 60 m.p.h.).
New Autozone engine I've had to replace it for years: 0 m.p.g.......Honestly, someday I will take it out of the crate.:D

let me know. my last 351w had flat tops a 270 duration 450 lift cam installed 4* advanced and it got about 23 on the highway with a 3.25 gear and 26" tall tires. only problem was it would ping like hell under load because the cam was advanced, i blew it up before i had a chance to set the cam back straight up. no fault of the timing though. i had a buddy do the bottom end because i didn't have time and he didn't torque the rod bolts down correctly. he used the torque values for a 302 with the smaller rod bolts, that and a catastrophic trans failure led to the early demise of that engine. less than 5,000 miles on it too, needless to say i was pissed.