Wheel/brake upgrade necessary?

Sanctus

May 17, 2005
Trabuco Canyon
im looking to upgrade my stock bullets on my gt to possibly some 20x8.5's (front) And 20x10(on back) and was wondering if the stock brakes will handle the extra rotating mass well enough? the wheels are only about 1300$ and tires should make that around 2000-2200.. the price to upgrade brakes well... thats nearly doubling the entire price of upgrading the wheels... i would replace the brake pads with HAWK performance ones but is that enough??

• Sponsors (?)

Well, if you believe more bling = more speed then what are 20's worth? 10hp per wheel? Dat's almost as good as vtec yo!

Seriously, you don't need to improve the brakes because of different wheels unless you want to fill the space between the discs and the wheels.

Yes I beleive you should

not to be a dick about it, but simply put anytime you add weight anywhere in the car, you add to your stopping distance. Adding it to the the rotating mass is like multiplying the weight before you add it. One more thing to add in this equation is that your tires will weight less, so if you are figuring out your weight numbers, don't just compare one rim to another if your tires are changing side wall height like yours will.:nice:

Now for my $.02 you need to color the calipers and up the discs, otherwise it will look like an import wheel tire combo.

check my sig... calipers painted... and i dont understand how the tires will weight less? they will be wider and maby just alittle bit shorter but tires wiegh so little anyways.. i would be more worried about driving with my backpack, and a set of golf clubs in the back more than the difference in tire weight... or am im missing something here