when flushing my cooling system what radiator hose do I take off?

• Sponsors (?)

If you just mean the radiator all you have to do is open the drain at the bottom of the radiator. I've never flushed more than that so I don't know the exacts. The top radiator hose isn't going to be open (thermostat). So theoretically IMO you would take the top heater hose off and you could flush through the hose (the heater core and water pump) and through the thermostat housing (the coolant passage in the block).

Just my guess. :shrug:

well I got a lot of crap built up and I want to get it all out and see for sure if my heater core is taking all my fluid and droping it on my carpet.

its moist on teh carpet but I never see if its drenched but my car dont smell of antifreeze.

I'm tearing my car apart to replace the heater core at the moment.

If its the heater core you want to flush just remove the upper and lower heater hoses from the engine side. Put water in the upper and drain from the lower. If your hose clamps are not in great condition I would recommend replacing them while you are doing that.

to actually "flush" the system, you need the machine that pumps the fluid through under pressure. other wise your just draining the anti-freeze and replacing it with new stuff. Im not sure if there is a specific flushing solution, or if they just use water. I've never bothered to do it.

Prestone makes a nifty flushing adaptor. works well in most cases. it just has you put it inbetween the line that comes from the motor and goes to the heater core. then you turn on the water hose. let it fill up and start the car.
http://prestone.com/products/19.htm

Prestone also makes a flushing solution, combination of soap and acid I believe that does the job if used correctly.
http://prestone.com/products/20.htm

I used this on a BMW that blew a headgasket and had put oil thru out the owhole colling system and it helped keep it cooler.

drained the system.
installed flusher. Flushed it.
sealed flusher.
filled with water and cleaner.
Ran motor up to temperature, let idle for 10min at that temp.
hook up flusher again.
drain

refll with antifreeze 50/50 and represurize system.

hope some of that helped.

or just jam a hose in the top while running the car. LOL

So how about would I go ding this with a hose to get all tht crap out of my system, without paying an arm and a leg for a flush system...

I want to get the majority of stuff out...so someone give me a detailed way of doing this with jaming a hose in the top of the radiator.

lol

the prestone kit is only like $5 dude!

As far as jaming a hose in the top.. as long as the hose is not a high pressure hose froma a steam cleaner or such, the average garden hose line should be fine and not hurt anything. The radiator system actually sees a good deal of pressure anyways.

the thing about the prestone flusher is that it Back flushes the system. Remember teh thermostat is gong to be closed, so this allows the water to come in from the backside and get thru the whole system.

You are making this far to difficullt. just do it.

or take it to some place like Jiffy lube and get a radiator exchange done.

I do it the way TurboFlush does it. I get the Prestone flush and follow the directions on it. It takes a while because your supposed to get the temp up in the system so it will circulate. If in doubt, just take it to your local quicklube and have them do it, should be $30-40 and you will never even get dirty. I do it myself so I know how its done and don't have to pace while I wait on them to finish it. :)