When is it time for a tune up?

KickerStang

Founding Member
May 6, 2002
Colorado Springs
I bougt this 5.0 a few months ago and supposedly the engine was "rebuilt" about 15k miles ago. Well, it has TFS TW heads, #2 cam, GT40 intake. When I dynoed it the first day I owned it, it only dynoed at 247RWHP/287RWTQ. I was not worried about it because it still had stock headers, crappy o/r h pipe that had some kinks in it where it may not have even been 2.25", and a crappy catback. Now I have replaced all of that and it does not feel great on the power end. I have not had it re dynoed yet, but I am wondering if a tune up will help. I know the timing was only at 5* when I checked it recently. That is because the distributor will not stay tightened down.

So can a tune up help me? Is this a good deal?

Tune up kit

Also, how can I keep the distributor tight if the bolt that holds in in place is not staying tightened down? When do I know if I need a whole new distributor?

I figured since then engine was rebuilt fairly recently, it would have had a tune up done. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

WHOA WHOA......your distributor is not in tight. There should be a tab that overlaps the distributor egde and it tightens into the block. Your timing should be atleast 12-14. I would get that problem fixed first and then worry about the tuneup. Your distributor is not supposed to loose.

Why won't it stay tight. Is the bolt or hole stripped?

A tuneup is usually cheap and will restore some power back. Just do it. I give mine new plugs,cap,rotor,plug wires,fuel filter,pcv valve....etc etc every 10,000 miles.