Where to buy engines?

• Sponsors (?)

Of the mustangs of that body style that had 428s originally, the engine had to be pulled just to change the spark plugs. I would go with a 351 stroker variation, or a 390. The 390 is an FE if you have to have a big block, and will be easier to find for a rebuild.

68stangman said:
Of the mustangs of that body style that had 428s originally, the engine had to be pulled just to change the spark plugs. I would go with a 351 stroker variation, or a 390. The 390 is an FE if you have to have a big block, and will be easier to find for a rebuild.
OK, why would you say that you had to pull the engine to change plugs with a 428, then recommend using a 390 ? :shrug: Hmmm? Apparently you've never HAD a big block Stang. :D

Checked one of my books for the facts.. lol you guys got me wondering again whether I was right or wrong.

Here they are:

-1967 GT-500's had the 428ci POLICE INTERCEPTOR engine, NOT the Cobra Jet.

-The 428ci PI engines DID have dual Holley 650cfm carburetors atop an aluminum medium-rise intake manifold. They had vacuum secondaries...

-There was one GT-500 prototype HARDTOP!, "Little Red," with a TWIN Paxton Supercharged 427ci (yes, 427!) engine, built for Fred Goodell, a Ford employee who became Shelby American chief engineer. This car was eventually destroyed by Ford to avoid product liability problems.

-There was also one prototype 1967 GT-500 CONVERTIBLE that eventually became the protoype for the 1968 Shelby convertible. "Evidence indicates this car still exists."

-In 1968 the GT-350's 289 HiPo engines were discontinued. They pushed out 271hp but Shelby tweaked them to 306hp. So he started using 4-bbl 302's that only pushed 250hp. Sad.

-In 1968 the GT-500's received new 428ci COBRA JET engines 2/3rds into the 1968 model year. The Cobra Jet engines were standard 428ci engines with revised 427 low-riser heads with expanded porting, stronger connecting rods and crankshaft, a dual-plane intake manifold, a SINGLE 735cfm Holley 4-bbl carburetor, and a Ram Air intake setup. They were rated at 335hp (underrated by 20% for insurance purposes).

Anything else?
-Tim :flag:

You didn't tell me anything I didn't already know about the 428PI and CJ motors. The only difference between the CJ and PI motors were the heads. The CJ's got lowriser 427 heads.The PI motors had std FE heads. The rods were also the same, as were the cranks. The rods were known as the PI rods before the CJ came out. Both had the same forging and 13/32 bolts. The cranks weren't any difference in strength, all 428 cranks were the same in that regard, the differences were in the balance weight.

D.Hearne said:
You didn't tell me anything I didn't already know about the 428PI and CJ motors. The only difference between the CJ and PI motors were the heads. The CJ's got lowriser 427 heads.The PI motors had std FE heads. The rods were also the same, as were the cranks. The rods were known as the PI rods before the CJ came out. Both had the same forging and 13/32 bolts. The cranks weren't any difference in strength, all 428 cranks were the same in that regard, the differences were in the balance weight.

I was answering another member's questions, not trying to teach you anything.

Sorry, I'll believe the Shelby registry's facts before I believe yours.

-Tim

D.Hearne said:
I agree, but wasn't it only the GT500KR that had the 2-4's ?

The GT500KR was a mid year introduction of the Shelby with the 428cj vs the 428PI engine.

(In other words the 67 and part of the 68 gt500 428 Had the dual quad police interceptor - the '68 GT500KR had the single carb 428cj engine- same as the mustang)

EL1NOR said:
:D Spoken like a true Think-I-Know-It-All :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh:
So tell me, how many FE's have you rebuilt, :shrug: taken apart, :shrug: or otherwise studied first hand ? :shrug: As for me, I've had numerous 390's, a couple of 410's, ditto for 428's and two 427's. I may not know everything ( yet) but I'll stake my experience against yours anyday. :D

D.Hearne said:
So tell me, how many FE's have you rebuilt, :shrug: taken apart, :shrug: or otherwise studied first hand ? :shrug: As for me, I've had numerous 390's, a couple of 410's, ditto for 428's and two 427's. I may not know everything ( yet) but I'll stake my experience against yours anyday. :D

That's the thing, stake it all you want. I never said I knew more than you, but I DID say that I'd trust the Shelby Registry before you. And that's factual data vs. opinion. You need to chill out. All I did was post what I said I read to help answer the Q's I saw and you acted all smart-ass with me stating that nothing I said taught you anything. Well whoopedy-friggin-doo! Who cares? I didn't post anything as opinion, I merely typed out what was in the book.

-Tim

So it was the "Cobra Jet" and 302 that were first introduced in the '68 model year. I was thinking 428 overall based on the trivia section on vintage-mustang.com. Stand corrected.
It must have been the 50 or so drag versions of the 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet that had to have the engine removed to replace the plugs. If I find it, I'll repost.

68stangman said:
So it was the "Cobra Jet" and 302 that were first introduced in the '68 model year. I was thinking 428 overall based on the trivia section on vintage-mustang.com. Stand corrected.
It must have been the 50 or so drag versions of the 1968 1/2 Cobra Jet that had to have the engine removed to replace the plugs. If I find it, I'll repost.
You didn't have to pull any FE, be it a 390, 427 or 428 to change the spark plugs. I never did it on my 390 or 427, the 428's the same motor. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------And as for you, Elinor, just because it's printed in a book, doesn't mean it's fact, The reference books are WELL known to be full of mistakes. But if you want to believe what some Yahoo printed in a book as gospel, go ahead and be my guest, you'll be the misinformed one , not I. :nice:

D.Hearne said:
You didn't have to pull any FE, be it a 390, 427 or 428 to change the spark plugs. I never did it on my 390 or 427, the 428's the same motor.

I agree, you never had to pull an engine to change plugs in a big block stang.... SOMETIMES though, the drivers side valve cover could be removed to increase clearance to get the #8 plug if you have power brakes (at least I did on my '69 - made life a whole lot easier :D )

The only Fe cars that I can think of that were exeptionally nasty to get to the plugs were the 427 Fairlanes and the older Thunderbolts. The worst Ford powered car to get plugs on that I worked on was a 1965 Sunbeam Tiger... the car had HOLES in the trans tunnel to get the #4 and #8 plugs... :rlaugh:

LOL..Methinks there is a pissing match a brewing.

On my 428 Mach, I found that if you have a 3/8ths drive ratchet with the swivel head, and a 1 to 1/1/2 inch extension, you could get those plugs out fairly easily. Fortunately, with today's fuel and better ignitions, you don't have to change plugs nearly as often as "in the day".