Where to find Good AFR 225's cheap

95Vert383AOD

15 Year Member
Jun 10, 2008
New Bedford, MA
Where can i find some AFR 225's used? Been on ebay....but this isn't exactly an everyday H/C/I Swap part. And if new who has the cheapest price? AD Performance has them for $1999. I wouldn't mind saving a few hundred dollars over buying new.

Also does Trickflow sell an inline head? i like the flow numbers on the ported 205. But i think they're all twisted right? Finny thing is i have twisted pistons in my 302 block in the garage. But my 383 has inline pistons.

I just figured someone out there may have or know of a good set of heads. SPRING CLEANING MAYBE :shrug:

Ive got to buy heads, Cam, Headers so im trying to save a few dollars where i can.

Thanks,
Chris

• Sponsors (?)

Hmmm Ed curtis has 225's with upgraded beehive springs, seats and retainers. for $2275...Reg price is $1999 with standard AFR stuff. The beehives take up to .650 lift rather than .600's that AFR includes.

i want to use my rockers. Seems the Trickflows flow more on the intake...but the afr's flow more on the exhaust. ...ive called a couple places including FOX Lake who wanted to sell me Victor jr.s that flow 332cfm @ .700 lift stage 3 ported for $2450

Yeah its not cheap...I'm trying to turn my garage into a small shop too so i have to budget with Running a 220v line and wiring my garage. Not to mention it needs a new roof and doors. But i have so many people asking me to do work and im tired of renting other peoples garages.

Pokageek,

Whew...Talked to Rick. Awesome guy... He works with ED so he doesn't really want to step on his toes. I just don't want to pay shipping and taxes on $2600 worth of parts that are literally 30 minutes of a drive away from me.

Rick says 205's...but if i plan on supercharging then the 225's will work better and ED can make a cam that can work for me now and in the future. He recommends Pro-Charger.

I will be buying stuff from Rick in the future for sure!!! First Professional to actually HELP and not try to convince me to rebuild my motor.

Yep. Rick has built A LOT of track cars and streeters and knows what works. He tried to do mine within my budget constraints which is why mine was down on power at first.

He listens to what the customer wants even though he might say that's not the way he would do it. Hehe, did you tell him you had pro-comps b4? I took the gamble on them for less $$ instead of Ricks initial recommendation for AFR's or Trick Flows. As you know the AFR's were a ridiculous difference in power.

old Trickflow highports were inline.

The new Trick Flow Highports are inline also. The R model Trick Flow Twisted Wedges outflow AFR 225s, but they were about $2800 last time I checked. I think the top end High Ports outflow the AFR 225s also, but flow slightly less than Twisted Wedges, and only cost slightly less.

Kurt

When you are getting into that high of $$ tho, thats the cost of the SB or even a supercharger itself! Most budget minded folks - you have to ask yourself, can I reach my goals for $1000 less with the right combo. I am not talking do what I did originally and buy cheap arse $600 heads. I am talking sensible $$ or even a used set of something - whatever head it is - that will get the job done. I think 383 can reach his goals with 205's or some other heads no problem with the right matching parts.

When you are getting into that high of $$ tho, thats the cost of the SB or even a supercharger itself! Most budget minded folks - you have to ask yourself, can I reach my goals for $1000 less with the right combo. I am not talking do what I did originally and buy cheap arse $600 heads. I am talking sensible $$ or even a used set of something - whatever head it is - that will get the job done. I think 383 can reach his goals with 205's or some other heads no problem with the right matching parts.

After all was said and done with me getting scammed...

$1200 for engine
-$600 back from court
-$100 for selling the cam
-$200 for selling the bottom end
-$120 for the 94/95 acc brackets
-$110 for the shorties i got in the deal

So i spent $80 on my trickflow KPI high ports... and $300 on the valve job...:D