where to put them?..

• Sponsors (?)

I jacked mine up on the crossmember so the tires were 3" off the ground and locked the door behind me. It only took overnight. In fact, it spread out TOO far.

If you've got a portapower you can put it on the shock tower caps and push them out till the piece fits.

My project now is to repair the shock towers that are totally destroyed. I pulled out the engine last week and I'm all fired up to finish that and the torque boxes.

The large bar that is under the engine. It bolts on both sides of the engine bay. By supporting it in the middle, (directly under oil pan), it will allow the engine bay to spread apart.

Believe it or not sometimes the cross member is removed by a previous owner and not replaced. It could be missing! Ouch!

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com

By supporting it in the middle overnight you risk twisting the front in ways you may not like. You should support in on the frame rail where the firewall hits the bottom of the floor pan. The jack the back up and support in just in front of the rear springs. These spots are as close to "assembly positions" you can get with out a proper frame rack. Loosen the export braces and let it sit over night. The car will settle and hopefully relax to where it goes in a little easier. If not, take your carb off and rent a porta ram to spread it out.

I spent last summer working on my frame with an old school body man and learned quite a about unibodies. I did the corssmember thing and really did some tearing that is not seen unless you take all the panels off. Mostly by the cowl under the front fenders. If you let it settle wrong install the Monte Carlo bar it stresses areas not intended to be stressed by body flex. IT also moves the shock towers differently and may make it unalignable and will effect other suspension geometry. I was surprised the damage I did putting the first one in.