which axleback to get

rkaiser58

Apr 23, 2003
Flemington
I was looking at the pypes (Pypes Performance Exhaust - Specials Page) or the flowmaster AT-Aggressive (2005 - 2010 Ford Mustang American Thunder Classic System [817460] - $495.00 : Flowmaster Inc. Exhaust Shop, Love That Sound!)

I heard the pypes give you a straight pipe sound, but have excessive flap or back pressure. Flows, well seems like everyone has them.

What are your thoughts? I am looking for a mean sound, but don't want the car too loud. (Borla or Roush are also a consideration) Just getting an idea of what you all are using.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Your best bet is to go to a car/mustang meet and listen to other 05-10 mustangs. Next best thing is listen online with a pair of headphones. Just a word of warning. The next pair of axlebacks you get will not be your last. You will change your exhaust set-up a few times. Here are the set-ups I went through:
Stock H and Flows
Stock H and JBA
Stock H and Magnapacks
O/R prochamber and Magnapacks
Prochamber w/hi-flows and Magnapacks
Prochamber w/hi-flows and SLP LM
Prochamber w/hi-flows, resonators/bullet mufflers and SLP LM (mid muffler set-up_
Current set-up Pypes catted X, resonators/bullet mufflers and SLP LM.

i Put the Pypes Violator axle back on my car and I think they are awesome..They are exactly what i was looking for..When driving normal i dont think they are much louder then stock..But when you get in the pedal they get decently loud and mean sounding..Plus couldnt beat the price of $240 for a Stainless exhaust

Pype-Bomb, after researching I had heard many people liked them better than the SLP LM. Same type of design, no muffler just resonators, but bigger 4in tip and all polished for much less $. I got mine for $198. It all depends on the volume and sound your looking for though. Cruising with the windows up and radio on I can't tell much difference. Sounds great at full throttle. I've actually been driving with the radio off just to hear the sweet music of my V8. I would say if you don't want to add headers or catless pipe later on it's the way to go, but may be a little too loud with both of those.

Stock H and Magnapaks for me, wasnt as loud as I expected when I first installed the magnapaks , BUT, after driving the car 100 miles or so it has gotten louder, oh and with the addition of a C&L Racer CAI and the Bama 93 Race tune, it has given my car a whole new sound, what I LOVE about the Magnapaks is how deep they make the car sound, I cant wait to get a catted H-pipe, should be even deeper!!!

Best of luck!