which bellhousing?

Sn95stang_302

Sep 14, 2003
i got a some steel bellhousing on my car when i bought it. the car vibrates horribly at 70mph+. i dont understand how to dial in the bellhousing so i was wondering if there was a bellhousing out there i didnt need to check run out on?

• Sponsors (?)

Shot in the dark but what about the Harmonic Balancer???? Bud of mine came over just tonight thinking the same thing and he to find out rubber was coimin out on his balancer.. just something else to think about.

You might want to do a search for a thread that Paul, Killercanary was talking about making sure the bellhousing was installed correctly. He had many bad things happen to his car including vibration, when his bh was not dialed in just right. I think the thread was about a week ago.

Later
Grady

You should dial in the bellhousing anytime you get a different one or put the same one on a different motor. All you need is a dial indicator with a magnetic base. Put the base on the end of the crank with the indicator reading from the edge of the bellhousing hole. Start at 12:00 and rotate the motor 360 degrees. I usually take readings at 12,3,6 & 9. Do the math and figure out which way it needs to go, if any. What your checking is to ensure the centerline of the crankshaft is aligned with the centerline of the transmission input shaft. I think factory spec is around .003". Not positive on that though.