which drag radials?

• Sponsors (?)

I got Nitto 555R 275/40/17's, but I dont want to put them on my stock 17x8's (bulge in the sidewall). Im just waiting until I get some 17x9's to throw them on :nice:

also heard good things about the BFG KDW's, but understand they're terrible on wet roads (in case you would keep them on after the track)

I'll be getting a set of Mickey Thompson ET's myself. Probably just going to go with the ET Drags instead of the ET Streets though. Aside from the little lines down the center of the "Streets" they're apparently the same tire. Besides, it's not like I'm going to run the anywhere but the track anyway, so why not go for the gusto? :shrug:

There are a couple of guys selling a set in the Trader section. Might be worth a look?

http://classifieds.stangnet.com/showproduct.php?product=29541&sort=1&cat=8&page=2

http://classifieds.stangnet.com/showproduct.php?product=29029&sort=1&cat=8&page=4

helty said:
I got Nitto 555R 275/40/17's, but I dont want to put them on my stock 17x8's (bulge in the sidewall). Im just waiting until I get some 17x9's to throw them on :nice:

also heard good things about the BFG KDW's, but understand they're terrible on wet roads (in case you would keep them on after the track)
how long would a pair of these last if they were used on a daily driver??any idea? and are these so soft that pieces of dirt and gravel get stuck to them all the time? just a couple of dumb questions:SNSign:

PonyboyIsaac said:
how long would a pair of these last if they were used on a daily driver??any idea? and are these so soft that pieces of dirt and gravel get stuck to them all the time? just a couple of dumb questions:SNSign:
I'd tell you, but they've been sitting in my house since the UPS guy delivered them. From what I understand, they dont grip quite as well as the BFG's or MT's, but last a bit longer.

helty said:
I'd tell you, but they've been sitting in my house since the UPS guy delivered them. From what I understand, they dont grip quite as well as the BFG's or MT's, but last a bit longer.
very interesting, thanks man. Theyre cheaper than the others also arent they?

PonyboyIsaac said:
very interesting, thanks man. Theyre cheaper than the others also arent they?
When I was shopping around, yes they were cheaper than the KDW's and MT's. Depending on what size you want, of course. They arent the best DR out there, but in the same breath Im not the best driver. Im sure theres more potential for better 60' times in the Nitto's than my driving ability can get out of them. When the day comes that the tires are keeping me from better 60' times, then I'll look at some MT's or slicks (with a built rear-end of course ;) )

helty said:
Whats up helty? How do bfg kd's compare to nitto dr's? I know alot of guys buy the kdw's and the kd's are very pricey, but the kd is suppose to be a superb dry weather tire. Any experience with them or know anyone running them?

A 17" Drag Radial has no sidewall deflection . . . highly recommended if you'd like to snap axles. See my mods for what I replaced after I launched hard with 'em a few times . . . search this topic in the forums, it's been covered alot . . .

big T said:
Whats up helty? How do bfg kd's compare to nitto dr's? I know alot of guys buy the kdw's and the kd's are very pricey, but the kd is suppose to be a superb dry weather tire. Any experience with them or know anyone running them?
Honestly I dont have any personal experience with them. From word of mouth I can tell you they supposedly hook very well and have excellent dry weather traction. The Nittos dont hook quite as well as the BFG's but are supposed to last longer and arent quite as expensive.

If wear is a concern BFG DR's are out. You can't get 4k out of a set. If you say you have, you never raced on 'em once. The Nitto's don't work as well but you can actually drive on them. I've heard of people going more than 10k on them. I know that from personal experience that the Nitto's will out last BFG's 2 or 3 to one.

helty said:
Honestly I dont have any personal experience with them. From word of mouth I can tell you they supposedly hook very well and have excellent dry weather traction. The Nittos dont hook quite as well as the BFG's but are supposed to last longer and arent quite as expensive.
Im also considerint toyo RA-1's for the rear, I hear these are outstanding dry/wet traction tires as well. Dont know much about toyo, but the ra-1 is a dot approved comp tire with a 100 treadwear rating so should be sticky. Priced at about 199.00/275 40 17's...last about 12-15k on the streets.

I just picked up Nitto 555 R 275 40 17's for the back and 555 245 40 17s for the front and am real pleased. A friend of mine who has a Cobra used to run these tires and said you could get about 10-15k miles on the DRs.

Gearbanger 101 said:
I'll be getting a set of Mickey Thompson ET's myself. Probably just going to go with the ET Drags instead of the ET Streets though. Aside from the little lines down the center of the "Streets" they're apparently the same tire. Besides, it's not like I'm going to run the anywhere but the track anyway, so why not go for the gusto? :shrug:

There are a couple of guys selling a set in the Trader section. Might be worth a look?

http://classifieds.stangnet.com/showproduct.php?product=29541&sort=1&cat=8&page=2

http://classifieds.stangnet.com/showproduct.php?product=29029&sort=1&cat=8&page=4

The reason to use a set of ET Streets over a set of ET Drags is twofold.

1)If you go to any sanctioned tracks NHRA or IHRA drag slicks require driveshaft loops.
If they do proper tech inspections you'll be sent home.
ET Streets or DOT legal tires require loops for 11.49 or quicker times.

2)Event's such as Fun Ford Weekends have DOT legal classes where you won't be running against 6-7 second monsters.