Drivetrain Which First Gear To Go With?

Did some work on the 1969 Mach 1 this Saturday in preparation for the Devereaux/Kaiser Car Show in Sarasota, Fl on April 28th, 2024 (highly recommend this show).

Verified TDC on the balancer....indeed the outer ring shifted from stock by about 10 degrees. Then marked the tick marks with white paint for the each 2degrees and orange paint for every 10 degrees...I have to paint the pointer with a different color as with my bad eyes (I have one eye that sees near, and the other that sees far and neither of can see the pointer well with the timing gun in the way) I can't really be sure...but I think I'm a little too advanced at 12+ degrees BTDC

Then changed out the starter that was giving me trouble when the car got hot...turns out it wasn't the starter but the attaching nut for the starter wire AT the starter....it wasn't there....but went ahead and replaced the starter....and I'm glad I did. When I removed the old starter I could see the teeth of the flywheel being chewed up !! I did some research based on the current starter's part number (3132) and found that it has a 3/8" offset. I THINK that is the correct starter if I was using my old 351 T3 bellhousing, but I'm actually using a T5 bellhousing.... I put in a 3124 starter that has 3/4" offset. Starts fine both cold and hot.....I reached out to Modern Driveline for confirmation of the 3/4" offset if using a T5 bellhousing on an older mustang.

Now for the T5 confirmation tasks.
1 - I do indeed have a yellow 18th tooth speedo gear for the speedo cable
2 - I do have a yellow speedo drive gear in the T5 which seems to be a 7 tooth drive gear
3 - (here's some interesting things) the T5 body casting sunburst has a 96 which I believe means it is from 1996. (I have conflicting information that it was either from 1990 or 1993...but that is hearsay as I don't have a tag on the transmission)
4 - the belling housing has part number of E9 which seems to be 1989.

Took some measurements of the current yoke in preparation for the new center section.
looks like I have a Long Narrow 1310 with 1 1/8" cap u-joints

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Yikes on the balancer ring shift. I've always heard about that, but have not experienced it. Makes me want to check mine. Haven't done so in a very long time.

Good stuff on the T5. Glad you were able to work out the gear stuff.