Which front rotors to get?

DanTheCobraMan

Founding Member
Jul 19, 2002
So Cal
Unfortunately, the rotors that I worked so hard to get off last night are worthless according to PepBoys. They said the lip is way too big and they can't turn it down. Are there any reasonably priced rotors out there I can pickup from one of these stores? PepBoys can order some "ProStops" for $26 each. But I wanted to post here first for some advice. I don't need any racing type rotors. Just some simple factory replacements that will do their job on the street. Any advice would be appreciated.

BTW, I have new Hawk HPS pads...

• Sponsors (?)

TireRack has some good deals on Brembos that are just OEM equivelant and not all slotted and drilled and all that fancy expensive shiot...

Your brake job is taking a while but it will be worth it when you feel those new brakes.

Another option is the Ford Parts counter but they will be overpriced and I think OEM rotors tend to pulse too much (easily warped)

Kilgore Trout said:
Another option is the Ford Parts counter but they will be overpriced and I think OEM rotors tend to pulse too much (easily warped)

yeah, I have also heard this from a couple of close friends... rotors needing to be replaced @ 40K under normal driving conditions, pretty ridiculous. Anyway, I got my brembo blanks for ~$40 each from, ~$30 each rear. Excellent deal!

DanTheCobraMan said:
Where did you buys yours at?

Mine were from the tire rack, so there goes the "from the store" option. I'm not sure man, I haven't really experimented with parts store's rotors before so I can't comment.

Are these pro-stop rotors made by Powerslot? If so, they got some pretty darn good reviews on tire rack, so maybe you should just order them. Check to make sure though, that they aren't just some cheap rip off, because $26 seems really cheap. Good luck!

*my name is Dan too :nice:

I can't go any bigger than factory without changing the caliber and pads, can I?

For the TireRack purchase, what are the model numbers? The only ones I see for $45 for a Cobra are the rears. The fronts are $62 each.

Not really. Your factory rotors are Brembo. They are pretty decent rotors and can be turned.

I don't understand what Pep Boys is telling you. "The lip is too big" WHat the hell does that mean? That the person has no idea what they are doing???

Find a local mom and pop type parts store and aske them to turn the rotors.

Avoid parts store rotors and especially pads.

Tirerack.com has very good prices for Brembo blanks. As for pads...OEM pads are the best really

Hmmm, I always though my GT rotors sucked... I had them turned and a few months later they started to pulse again. Perhaps it was the wife jamming the brakes when she was crossing rail road tracks or something like that :scratch:

But i think in another thread he mentioned that his rotors only had 40K miles on them. I doubt they would have been turned before.

Then again, i haven't even seen his brakes so who knows what they look like. If he has a dial caliper he can measure them himself and check the min thickness stamped on the rotors edge