Which gears should i go with?

AirWolf87

Mar 14, 2004
L I, NY
I got $200 laying around that ive been thinking bout putting into gears, But i dont know too much about them. Lots of mustang owners seem to love 4.10. what are it's advantage? ive heard you also lose a little hp. how much of a difference do they make? This is my daily driver so do gears effect gas milage? what about top speed? will it shave off top speed? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

what are it's advantage?
It allows your motor to rev more easily and will help to put you into the powerband faster than before. Basically, the faster you get into your powerband, the better your acceleration through each gear.
ive heard you also lose a little hp.
There has been many debates over this. First of all, gears do not change how much hp you have either way. You will not gain any, nor loose any. However, it can cause your car to read lower on some dyno's but you still don't loose any power.
how much of a difference do they make?
I've seen gains as good as shedding 8/10th's of a second in the 1/4 mile by guys switching to 4.10's over the stock 3.27's. They are the best bang for the buck.
This is my daily driver so do gears effect gas milage?
Your cruising rpms will be higher on the open highway. Therefore, you may loose a few mpg on the open highway. In town, you may loose about 1mpg or you may gain 1mpg. I've heard different things here. All in all, they really dont effect your gas mileage as much as you will. What I mean is, with the new gears, you'll become whats called "pedal happy" and be temtped to floor it more often with the new gears.
what about top speed? will it shave off top speed?
Right now, you can't tap out your car anyway. The powerband and gearing of the GT's is too broad. Even with 4.10 gears, you still wont be able to tap out. As others have said, you'll run out of power before you run out of gear.

As for where to buy the gears, I recommend either Randy Stinchcomb at Liberty Ford or Stangstore. You can contact Randy at www.modulardepot.com under the Ford parts forum and you can contact Stangstore at www.stangstore.com

You will need 2qts of rear differential fluid for the install. 75w-140 is what is recommended, however, you can use 75w-90 if you wish.

In response to what JonJon said, if you've never done a gear install before, please, let someone who knows what they're doing do it for you. Gear installs are not like changing spark plugs and can be a serious hassle. However, if you know how to install gears, then by all means, save yourself some money and do it yourself.

I havent done a gear intal myself but i got a cuz who is a tech for bmw...so he will be more than glad to help me out. i also got a buddy who put a ford 9" rear end on a jeep so he knows what hes doing. It looks like i am going to go with 4.10 ive searched around and i cant find a reason not to....thanx :flag:

I had 3.73s for a while, but they weren't enough. The main reason they weren't enough was because my six speed transmission had a taller 1st gear so I wasn't getting out of the hole fast enough at the track.

I upgraded to 4.30s and they are great! You can't beat them for acceleration, and they really aren't much lower than 4.10s. The difference between 3.73s and 4.10s is twice the difference between 4.10s and 4.30s. I don't think you will regret getting 4.30s at all.