which is easier to install, roots or centrifugal

brian98gt

Founding Member
Mar 12, 2002
new jersey
i'm looking into supercharging my 98 cobra and i'll have someone helping be to avoid the labor costs. which is easier to install a roots like kenne bell or centrifugal like a pro-charger. the person helping me is pretty good with cars but i'd like the easiest install possible.

• Sponsors (?)

I personally think the centri would be easier to install. You don't have to remove the intake or anything. Simply bolt and unbolt some of the front accessories. But the roots style wouldn't be too bad to install either. I think if you've got descent mechanical skills, either style would be a job you could complete. Just make sure you get it tuned before you run it.

Having recently installed a KB, I can tell you that it is not hard, just time consuming. I did it over four weekends and took my time. Piece of cake.

Well I have personally installed 4 KB's (01 GT, 01 Cobra, 03 Cobra, 04 Cobra) and 2 Centri's (96 Cobra, 02 GT). Both are easy to install if you have the time and right tools. Both have there pain in the ass parts. All in all it comes down to personal pref. DO NOT get a blower based on ease of install alone. Like Meat said, 2 totally different animals as far as where they make power.

thanks everyone, i'll probably end up going centrifigul and not for ease of install but for the top end power. i personally would of thought the roots style would be easier since your working on top of the engine as opposed to the front but your right i shouldn't base my decision solely on the install.

Well I have personally installed 4 KB's (01 GT, 01 Cobra, 03 Cobra, 04 Cobra) and 2 Centri's (96 Cobra, 02 GT). Both are easy to install if you have the time and right tools. Both have there pain in the ass parts. All in all it comes down to personal pref. DO NOT get a blower based on ease of install alone. Like Meat said, 2 totally different animals as far as where they make power.

Taking all the credit, I see. :D

+1 for ease of install, w/out any special tools, we (more thn dan n me) did it in one day. And w/out an IC. But I will defer to his experience.

The biggest difference for me was cost. Pick up the sq tuner kit, a maf, injectors and fuel pump, all new, for 4k.

get ready for 12.0's all day

i'm looking forward to it. i live 10 minutes from raceway park in englishtown nj and the blower is going on this week. i'll be getting some drag radials before i go because i couldn't get that thing to hook up without the blower. i've opted to sell the aftercooler to save a few bucks on install and the trunk relocation kit and to try to get some money back from what i spent on the whole kit and other misc parts that i needed.

Personally, I think it's better w/out the cooler for two reasons.
1. W/ the alum. block and the location of the vortech, heatsoak isn't a big issue unless you keep hot lapping it.
2. you're making your engine work that muck harder to force the air through the cooler for the same amount of boost.

Post some #'s when you can. I couldn't get mine to hook w/ nitto dr's (2.0xx 60ft) and ran a 12.3 @117.

Personally, I think it's better w/out the cooler for two reasons.
1. W/ the alum. block and the location of the vortech, heatsoak isn't a big issue unless you keep hot lapping it.
2. you're making your engine work that muck harder to force the air through the cooler for the same amount of boost.

Post some #'s when you can. I couldn't get mine to hook w/ nitto dr's (2.0xx 60ft) and ran a 12.3 @117.

i can't wait to get some numbers up. i just thought that if i needed to in the future i could get a methanol injection kit that would basically do the same. i've also heard the the vortech aftercooler is not very efficent unless you always have ice in the reservoir which is fine if your at the track but not feasable when driving around.