which of these short blocks?

90mustangfan

Oct 18, 2005
So cal
Im going with 331 stroker(longevity,reliable,) which of these short blocks would you choose, Look over the parts, I have no clue if there good or cheap parts, Im doing to run dished blower) 8-5 compression Please comment, I need advice, I dont want to invest and have it crap out on me when i put the KB on
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-331-STROKER-SHORT-BLOCK_W0QQitemZ160152878573QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160152878573
or
http://www.treperformance.com/Block/Ford347Performance.html
Open to suggestions on good 331 or 347 short blocks for around 1500?
Goal to remain CA emissions legal, all parts have to be E legal.
Goal 2 , get 430+rwhp while remaining E legal

The combo Im going with is H/C/I KB blower 9psi-or (430-450rwhp) While being reliableI wont want to blow hg's,I dont want to stress the blower too much, I dont want to over heat in traffic,etc. I know a good tune will help.
combo AFR 185 E legal, Gt-40 intake(for KB), Comp cams 284hr, KB blow/flowzilla,
42#, 90mm maf, 75mm tb, 255lph, Full 3" exhaust(catted,mac pro dumps), TUNE..and the other supporting mods etc.

Another Q, Should I just say F-it and get the 347? how much longer will a 331 last over a 347 under same conditions(2-3 times a month track, and DD around town/work)
Ah crap will that cam work for a 331, or will I need to choose a differnt blower cam?

Or would I be better off with a 351 like this same price, is it any stronger? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Remanufactured-77-93-Ford-351-Windsor-Long-Block-Engine_W0QQitemZ290157580923QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item290157580923

• Sponsors (?)

I need advice, I dont want to invest and have it crap out on me when i put the KB on

This comment rules out ANYTHING on ebay.
Way too easy to get scammed there...

I highly recommend Jim from http://www.fordstrokers.com/
Check out the 'Liberator' line of shortblocks...
http://www.fordstrokers.com/fordstrokers-liberator-short-blocks-c80.html

Customer service with Jim is exceptional!

Assuming the builder knows what they are doing...
You shouldn't notice a durability difference between a 347 and 331.

If passing emissions is a requirement, then head and cam selection will be critical.
So will the tune.

good luck,
jason

I would just spring for the 351W. I think you will be happier long term. You get the extra displacement, stock parts, the ability to go even larger in the future, and all sorts of fun stuff. Once you punch the 302 for a 331/347 you're done, because most of them go out .060 on the bore and that's about the limit. Just my $.02

Im going with 331 stroker(longevity,reliable,) which of these short blocks would you choose, Look over the parts, I have no clue if there good or cheap parts, Im doing to run dished blower) 8-5 compression Please comment, I need advice, I dont want to invest and have it crap out on me when i put the KB on
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-331-STROKER-SHORT-BLOCK_W0QQitemZ160152878573QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160152878573
or
http://www.treperformance.com/Block/Ford347Performance.html
Open to suggestions on good 331 or 347 short blocks for around 1500?
Goal to remain CA emissions legal, all parts have to be E legal.
Goal 2 , get 430+rwhp while remaining E legal

The combo Im going with is H/C/I KB blower 9psi-or (430-450rwhp) While being reliableI wont want to blow hg's,I dont want to stress the blower too much, I dont want to over heat in traffic,etc. I know a good tune will help.
combo AFR 185 E legal, Gt-40 intake(for KB), Comp cams 284hr, KB blow/flowzilla,
42#, 90mm maf, 75mm tb, 255lph, Full 3" exhaust(catted,mac pro dumps), TUNE..and the other supporting mods etc.

Another Q, Should I just say F-it and get the 347? how much longer will a 331 last over a 347 under same conditions(2-3 times a month track, and DD around town/work)
Ah crap will that cam work for a 331, or will I need to choose a differnt blower cam?

Or would I be better off with a 351 like this same price, is it any stronger? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Remanufactured-77-93-Ford-351-Windsor-Long-Block-Engine_W0QQitemZ290157580923QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item290157580923

Don't go to TREperformance! I bought an engine from them once and it was horrible. Rockers were cracked, springs were rusted, thread holes were stripped, even the threads for the oil filter were scarred. It wouldn't hold a seal. He advertised it as drop in and go, but the whole thing would have had to be rebuilt. Then he refused to refund me, and I had to take him to court. The judge rled in my favor, but he continued to harass and threaten me. Keep away from this guy, he is a con artist!!

I would look at Rick 91 GT on this site, he does a great job!

With boost, I prefer having a little more ringland for the added pressure, so 331 will be a nice improvement.

You will need a Dart block or equivalent. It is not going to be cheap...

theres no replacement for displacement, just because it has more cubic inches doesnt have anything to do with reliability or longevity its all in the way you drive the thing,get a Coast high performance 347 shortblock you wont be dissapointed and make sure you get a stud girdle and windage tray...or ,because it seems like youve got some money to work with, i suggest getting a dart block , world, R302 ect. so you dont have to worry about blowing it up if ever you decide to give it more boost n the future

My advice with the cam is to keep the stock one in there and use 1.7rr's. The stock cams are not as bad as people think. While a different cam will get you more power, you will have a much harder time remaining emissions legal. Since you are having a blower, keep your mind set on getting power out of that so that you can easily obtain emissions legal status.

What he means is that your statement is vague, because stroking and boring out a motor to its absolute limits does impact the engine's reliability and longevity, and therefore your statement is inaccurate.

You can stroke a 302 to at least 3.5", and you can probably get away with .060" bore. I think you can go even further, but if you think you're going to have as reliable a motor as the typical 302 displacement, you're kidding yourself.

What he means is that your statement is vague, because stroking and boring out a motor to its absolute limits does impact the engine's reliability and longevity, and therefore your statement is inaccurate.

You can stroke a 302 to at least 3.5", and you can probably get away with .060" bore. I think you can go even further, but if you think you're going to have as reliable a motor as the typical 302 displacement, you're kidding yourself.

understandable but in this situation we are obviously talking about the difference in a 331 and 347...both bored .30 over and sure the 347 has a longer stroke but the difference in the longevity between the 331 and 347 would probably be slim to none if driven exactly the same

Don't go to TREperformance! I bought an engine from them once and it was horrible. Rockers were cracked, springs were rusted, thread holes were stripped, even the threads for the oil filter were scarred. It wouldn't hold a seal. He advertised it as drop in and go, but the whole thing would have had to be rebuilt. Then he refused to refund me, and I had to take him to court. The judge rled in my favor, but he continued to harass and threaten me. Keep away from this guy, he is a con artist!!

We are not a one man show as we were the something like 5 years ago when you purchased an item that unfortunately was not up to par due to a not so great previous contact. It was an honest mistake that you were far from understanding of or willing to work out. If anyone looks at this guys posts here it is clear that basically all he is here for is to try and bash us when he got every penny he spent back from us. We tried to work with this guy but he was far from understanding or pleasant from the start. For the record, all he got was a very low priced ebay discount oem replacement long block...with nothing but oem rebuilt and/or cleaned parts. We haven't been selling anything like that in a LONG time and are proud of the progress we have made. From memory I believe he found a crack in a rocker, no idea on oil filter threads....but the filter adapter is replaceable and wasn't mentioned as being included anyways. The heads were fully rebuilt, no springs were rusty, that is a lie. All valve seals were brand new and no others are on a long block so no idea what he is talking about, and he probably doesn't either.

It is funny he talks about being threatened and continually harassed. After he got his money back HE, not us, decided to send random harassing emails every now and then as apparently he didn't have anything better to do...and clearly STILL doesn't all this time later. We ignored them, but obviously as anyone can see here after many years he still have nothing better to do. You would think that getting all your money back would allow you to move on, but I guess not with this guy. Although I can't remember any contact with him for probably two years....although after hearing about his postings here clearly he still hasn't got over it. I feel sorry for you that you can't move on and don't have more important things to do. Unfortunately when he makes these posts we will have to spend our time replying to them, since our company is not going away and will continue to provide quality parts for many years to come.

What you can clearly see with this post and his others, it appears his lifetime goal is to wander websites to try and bash our business. As you will also see, not one other person will ever say anything negative about us or reply to any of his posts as there is nobody else that wasn't happy with what we provided. I would welcome ANYONE to contact the better business bureau about our business and you will find not any real or unresolved customer issues in 5 years besides maybe this guy with a chip on his shoulder whom GOT HIS MONEY BACK in full. We are an honest, reputable, dependable company determined to provide nothing but the best new performance parts and have direct dealer accounts with over 20 companies with nothing but positive relationships with everyone we deal with. We have had NOT ONE other person have any problems with any of the engines we have had assembled and all work is done by top notch builders.

Regards,

Paul North
www.treperformance.com

Just wondering, is there a reason you can't do h/c/i on your stock 302? I dont see any reason why that matched with a KB cant make the power you want and be alot cheaper. To me its just never made sense to invest that much in a stock block that is eventually going to break. Just another idea for you.

Actually, whats the specs on that cam?

Jim was banned from this site if I recall for bashing the members and stangnet. If you want to support that, then so be it.

Now, I do believe he makes some good quality engine builds, so do not get me wrong.