whining noise

dutch5.0

Feb 6, 2009
Netherlands
My car is making this weird whining noise when it's idling in neutral. Sounds like a big eaton blower at idle.
First I thought it came from the belt area, because I replaced the alternator and put a short trow shifter in last weekend. Thought maybe the belt just had to seat again.
on cold starts, it's quiet, but appears within the first minute of warming up.
Last night, I got out and left it idling and noticed it was more like it's comming from underneath the car...:shrug:
There's no noises or vibrations when driving, and the car feels fine. Haven't been paying attentionto what it does when I press or release the clutch yet, but I can't seem to recall it having any effect.
It's just at idle..

any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

I'll have to see what happens with using the clutch. I didn't yesterday, but I've been reading on pilot and TO bearings, and I think I know what to look for.
any other possible causes?
Clutch and tranny feel fine, nothing strange going on really.. How bad is a dying TO or pilot bearing? like 'don't drive the car any further!'-bad or 'learn to deal with the noise untill you have the time and money to fix it'-bad?

A mechanics stethoscope helps a lot.

If you went to a short belt and now you have a noise, chances would be good the belt is the issue.

The TOB aspect was covered nicely.

I put a short throw in years ago, and if I remeber correctly it produced a whine righ after as well. Why, no idea....but, I adjusted the stops on the shifter and it went away. Maybe something to look at if your shifter has stops on it.

good luck

sorry, don't recall, put it on ~4 years ago.

I'm sure you'd have bigger problems if this was the case, but is the belt routed correctly, and seated on all the pullies as well...maybe something else to look at, it happens, I've done it.

have you driven it, possible the ball end of the shifter isn't in the receiver of the transmission, just gotta re-stab it...again just a thought. (did that one, too)

it's cold out here too, but it was cold before this started too.. :shrug:
Belt is routed fine. I thought it was the belt at first, but then I got out of the car yesterday while it idled and I noticed it comming more from underneath the car. Not from the front of the engine..

Shifter feels fine, I've driven it twice since the install and it shifts fine. :shrug:

i had the same problem its your throw out bearing. it happens in neutral and when you let off the clutch. if its a newer clutch then it could also be your pilot bearing which is 11 dollars and the throw out bearing is like 50 somethin. i would get a HAYS self-aligning bearing. its a bitch to change it out but if your racing with a bad throwout bearing and slam the gears you can crack or shatter the clutch. happened to my buddies 2000 cobra. id take it easy with the shifting. last time i checked if your not a mechanic type its almost 300 dollars to replace it. but if you live near me i could change it in 4 hours for 50 bucks. your clutch will still feel good and all its just your gonna have a squeal thats gay and it WILL eventually go out if you keep it in. when it happened to me i shifted at 3 grand and kept it like that until i got it fixed. i just wouldnt go out racin every day

I'm not racing the car anyway hehe. Anyway thanks for the offer, but I'm in Europe. I guess that doesn't classify as 'close'.
I'll see what happens with clutch movement tonight or tomorrow.
Thanks for the help so far guys