White Letter tires on our cars???

2000GTNY

Jun 21, 2005
Albany, NY
Anyone run white letter tires on our cars? Ive seen the NASCAR tires on a Monte and thought they were "unique". I'm honestly undecided if I like this look or not. I can;t find any tires in the performance category with this look so I'm thinking its a moot point.

• Sponsors (?)

The only cars around here that Ive seen with them are the MonteCarlos that are decked out with so much Dale Earnhardt stuff on their cars to make him turn in his grave.

Never did understand those NASCAR types.

But since Mustangs arent raced in stock car form, I doubt it would look right.

I would love to have white letter tires on my car... i personally really like the look. If that makes me a hill-billy redneck, so be it.. but I've always loved the look.

Unfortunately, you can't find white letter tires in the size we would need. White letter tires only come on 65- 70, and 75- series tires... not down in the 45- 40, and 35- that we run. :(

There is a guy here in San Diego who owns a Bullitt, and had his tires custom painted with yellow letters (like the new color for NASCAR). They were 18" BFGs, and it looks awesome. Here's a dark photo that I snapped last year at the Saleen show.

saleen11.jpg

I've seen tires for sale, with yellow lettering, in fact on a number of occasions. I never bought a set, but a friend did, for his '87 GT. They were 225/55/16 I think, either 55 or 50 he had. They're all nascar 'type' that i've seen, nothing else. And I would'nt want them on my car, I just like having a normal nice pirelli and spraying them down with armor all :D

89lxsport50 said:
I saw where Duplicolor is selling some kind of paint pens that you use to paint the letters on your tires. They had all sorts of fruity colors. Talk about rice.

I just ordered a white paint pen. They have white, yellow and red. Guess that makes me a ricer now. :shrug:
I guess alot of the muscle car owners back in the old days and today are ricers too with their white lettered tires.

69-I.jpg

Man, look at ther ricer! What was he thinking getting tires like that. Damn ricers..

Attachments

• 69-I.jpg
    69-I.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 138
DeathMetal said:
I just ordered a white paint pen. They have white, yellow and red. Guess that makes me a ricer now. :shrug:
I guess alot of the muscle car owners back in the old days and today are ricers too with their white lettered tires.

69-I.jpg

Man, look at ther ricer! What was he thinking getting tires like that. Damn ricers..

You've got the right idea of just using a paint pen. A lot of us that have crotch rockets have been painting our lettering on our bikes for years. You have to touch up the letters every once in a while.

If you paint the letters, you had better clean the tires GOOD 1st.:nono:

Use some acetone, then apply the paint pen.

Attachments

• 69-I.jpg
    69-I.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 143
JBushman73 said:
You've got the right idea of just using a paint pen. A lot of us that have crotch rockets have been painting our lettering on our bikes for years. You have to touch up the letters every once in a while.

If you paint the letters, you had better clean the tires GOOD 1st.:nono:

Use some acetone, then apply the paint pen.

Agreed. I did try the paint pen on my BFGs about a year ago. Apparently they weren't very clean, because within a day the paint was peeling and chipping off. Luckily, i tested on the inside of the tire first.

DeathMetal said:

69-I.jpg

I didn't mean that white letter tires are rice. Of course all the old muscle cars have them. I had them on a ranger once. But if someone goes and paints their letters red, yellow, pink or green, that my friend is rice.

Attachments

• 69-I.jpg
    69-I.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 569
89lxsport50 said:
I didn't mean that white letter tires are rice. Of course all the old muscle cars have them. I had them on a ranger once. But if someone goes and paints their letters red, yellow, pink or green, that my friend is rice.

so that bullitt above is rice then:shrug:

why do people keep using that term i dont want to ever hear it again

just ignore it if you dont like it damn

Dope 97GT said:
so that bullitt above is rice then:shrug:

why do people keep using that term i dont want to ever hear it again

just ignore it if you dont like it damn

In my book the yellow painted letters are ricey. Obviously you have a different opinion. I never said anything about any specific car being rice. All I said was they sell different colored pens to paint your tires with, and I think it is ricey. Why don't you just ignore the term rice if you don't like it?