Who has a time bomb in their car??

88GT17MA

Nov 1, 2004
Looking to see how many people are running 350-400+ HP on their T5's and overall experiences in general with T5's and their durability....I know their not the best tranny, just wanna hear some first hand experiences.

• Sponsors (?)

Had a T-5 survive for almost 200 miles after I put my supercharger on. Put a new CC DF clutch, went to the track (my car is usually babied) hit third and it sounded like a grenade went off. Needless to say, my tranny went kaboom! Now I am in the process of getting an X2C Tremec.

subtlebeast said:
I beat mine for 2 years with over 520rwhp, but then again I only put 5000 miles on it a year and had a stock clutch. I did grenade it one day nailing third.
Third is the known weakness of the t-5. I am convinced that had I not put in a CF DF clutch and allowed my rear main seal to continue leaking then my tranny would have been fine. :D Oh well, it needs the upgrade anyway.

Most T5s go downhill when a hard clutch is put in. Mine has lasted with an FMS clutch, and my dads as well. Every car is different of course, and every driver is different (believe me, we beat the piss out of our cars) but this seems to be the common trend.

Wanna talk about a timebomb??

My engine has 113K miles on it... i threw an S trim on it with 10 pounds of boost... making damn near 400 hp to the wheels not really tuned.. My clutch just went to crap soo i bouhgt a Spec stage 3 for my stock trans..... Everything is holding up now so far! lol

FiVeLiTeR87GT said:
Wanna talk about a timebomb??

My engine has 113K miles on it... i threw an S trim on it with 10 pounds of boost... making damn near 400 hp to the wheels not really tuned.. My clutch just went to crap soo i bouhgt a Spec stage 3 for my stock trans..... Everything is holding up now so far! lol

KABOOM !!!! Just kidding ... but be very careful.

I have an A-Trim running 6psi since I bought my car, with the stock tranny and King Cobra clutch AND drag radials, and I have been fine, it also could be the fact that I have 4.10's and don't get traction until 4th gear most of the time..

90Notch said:
I put a freshly rebuilt WC T-5 w/brand new Spec Stage 1 clutch behind 360ft lbs to rear wheels and the only problem I have experienced was the 4-5 syncro appears to have failed :shrug: Don't quite understand why this happened but car was driven on streets for just under 8,000 miles, never power shifted and a couple aggressive launches from stop lights ;)

Wow...Same here, only my T5 was brand new in the crate!
On the highway; I can here clinking\clicking sounds in 5th gear which may or may not be the syncro's. So far, so good, with all the other gears & the ease with which to get into gear. This is with 5,750rpm launches with slicks, 310rwhp, 300rwtq, power shifting, & a Ram heavy duty clutch. That clutch might be all that's keeping the trans alive.... Knocking on wood every five minutes!;)

B-cam,ported E7's, cobra intake, 24lb injectors,1 5/8 shorties,3.73s and 150hp wet kit. 26x10 slicks and a center force DF.2 summers of hard nitrous launches(4000rpm) running 12 oo's. No trans explosions, only problem was a 5th gear sycro. Why,??, probably has a lot to do with the Pro 5.0 shifter that makes 3rd gear easy to hit, and keeps you from over shifting each gear. The trans was brand new when I started, so that helps, and I pull it every winter for inspection. We'll see how it holds behind the new 347 next year, but I have a spare new trans(T5z) ready to replace it. I think the biggest thing is to pay attention to the trans, if it starts feeling loose or making noises, get it out and repair it before something breaks.

mine got sloppy and 3-4 synchro went out behind alot less horsepower then you guys are pushin. but i gues 195k thousand mailes is alot for a tranny expecially when it has has 2 teenage owners. but now im buildin a new one which will be a litl stouter then stock so i hope it lasts. anyone here have there t-5 input shaft machined for the cobra type bearing?? its suposed to increase strength by a ton!

Can't you make the T-5's stronger with some gear packages that have stronger material? And can't you make the T-5 stronger with stronger synchros or something? My friend put a set of something... (I can't remember) in his t-5 and it stood up to his supercharged 306 for two years now... and he hammers it.

ya I was thinking about beefing it up.........heard about a g-force gear kit that you can buy but I dont know much about it altough I would like to find out about it. Those TKO's are really nice but are expensive for the type of project I'm going for...

the weak point on a beefed up T5 becomes the case itself.
the HP is not what necessarily kills the trans - a sticky clutch and slicks is what often really works the trans over. run a clutch that is weaker than the trans so it is the weak point, by design.

good luck.

I had a standard T-5 in my 5.0L Ranger.
225rwhp, and a Spec stg 3 and BOOM. Second gear was gone!
I couldn't upgrade to a Tremec, so I got the GForce internals and a Spec STG2/3 hybrid. That is the clutch SPEC recommends for the GForce.
Seems to work great so far.
Now to test it with a blown 331 stroker. :D