who knows? 03 cobra engine/tranny in an 86 GT?

79Mustang302

Founding Member
Dec 6, 2001
Colorado Springs, CO
i have dreams of putting in terminator power in my TTops 86 GT. i already have the engine and tranny out of an 03 cobra that had 28000 miles on it. i also have the wiring harness, computer, steering wheel, gauge cluster, front crossmember and complete exhaust system plus a lot more. does anyone know what it takes to make this a succesful swap? any help is greatly appreciated. thanks:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

For one thing, GET BRAKES ON THAT CAR!! :)
You'll also HAVE to put on good full-length subframes (like MM). Also, you may have to switch to an 87-93 K-frame. At that point, the tires get close to the fenders. IMHO, do NOT go to coil-overs on a *street* car. The front end will be lower with the heavy engine and tranny. With the stock spring rates, that may be pushing it. An 87-93 will lower the front end another 1/2" - 1" because the spring perches on the FCAs are pushed out.

So, with a heavy engine tranny and 87-93 kframe and NOT going to coil-overs, you're looking at custom springs (~$300 -> $400) to keep the ride height safe for street driving.

You'll NEED a full subframe because of the added weight. As it is, the POS Fox body/frame sags and twists if a loose plastic bags blows up against it in a wind. :D

And, *most important* of all, TAKE PLENTY OF PICS so you can share!!

Four Eyes RULE! :)

thanks for the input, sorry it took me forever to get back. anyways. i got the engine and tranny and all the wiring and stuff for $8000 out of an 03 cobra with 28000 miles. its not in yet, but i also got a fast engine management system and will be having custom long tube headers made for the old girl. as far as the brakes and suspension go, i already ordered the ford racing 93 cobra r disk brake conversion kit and a set of american racing torque thrust "m" wheels, 17 x8, 17x9 with BFG gforce kdw 245's in the front and 275's in the rear. also, i bought a maximum motorsports grip in a box kit that came with everything but the mechanic, i went with a higher spring rate spring that would actually lift my car 1/2" in the front and stock in the rear, they say it will leave me nice and level after the engine/tranny are in. thats about it for now, things will start going in after the suspension and brakes/wheels are done. ill let you guys know how it goes.:flag:

that is absolutly perfect. i printed out the whole thing and am using it as step by step instructions. i have made some changes and will now be locating a 03 cobra dash and seats so that i can use the whole wiring harness and not have to splice. i am using the factory 8.8 for now, but plan on upgrading the diff and axles. i may use the 03 cobra brakes, dont know yet. i already bought the ford racing 93 cobra r kit but i can always return it. i havent started anything on the car yet, just getting some parts in the mail still. thanks for the link.:flag:

That's my site, so if you have any questions feel free to ask. There is a lot of detail left out of the blog. I am working on a tech site, but it is slow going at the moment as I am very busy with other things.

You are lucky, for the swap you got the serious issue out of the way.
Which was getting the engine and trans.

Use the aje 2030 K member.
It has a unique engine mount design where you need no motor mounts (saves $150), and it can mount a 4.6, 5.0 or god forbid a chevy 350.
Trust me, you won't be sorry.

If you need swap info, use modularfords.com, goto the modular conversions section.

alright fellers. got started on the ol girl this weekend. so far i have the 5.0 and tranny out of it the front clip off. not much i know but i got stuck when it came time to start taking out wiring. i am gonna have to take it to a local shop here (revolutions performance) to have them get all the wiring done. looks like its gonna be a while. eta for completion, this time next year. :(

This will give you a rough idea.

Linky

AAAAARGH! I read through that entire thing and thought for sure that the finished product would be on the last page! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! lol

Absolutely an outstanding project! :jaw:

Please be sure to post the final updates in the Talk section! I can't wait to see and hear the thihg when finished. Best of both worlds... intercooled Cobra motor and the looks of a Fox. :nice:

just to let you all know. after the shop totally f%$#ed my car up i ended up replacing all of the wiring with all new wiring from ford at the dealership and spent about $6000 to have the dealer un f*** the whole mess and get it back to stock, i made some of my money back when i sold the engine and tranny from the cobra but not nearly as much as i have spent. but, at least my car is drivable again and in pretty good shape considering what it's been through, check her out. by the way, i now have into the ol girl about what it costs to buy a brand new base GT and the car is basically stock, nothing major done to it.

anyways, if you are going to do this swap beware, YOU need to be an expert mechanic that has done a lot of research or you need to be having a trusted expert mechanic doing this. good luck to anyone else that tries this. i for one will be rolling my fox the way ford intended 5.0 all the way.

scan0001.jpg

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 79