WHOO HOO! 500 miles and counting! DUW

You've waited 500-miles.....I'm surprised you waited that long to get on it. You're rings are sealed within the first 50-miles are so....so feel free to have at it. And blown cars should normally be broken in under boost.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks guys!

Dan- The idle is a little touchy at startup but once its been running for a few minutes it is OK. I still haven't messed or even checked the IAC because the problem has gotten better. I did find my old IAC and I may still put it on to see if it makes any difference. I'm not sure if I'll make it to the Steel Valley Nats, I'd like to but I have a few other plans already for that weekend. If I can get them changed I will be up. BTW- the hood looks great, did you find a painter yet for it?

Rich- I'm not aware of any oil problems yet, but I haven't taken the upper off yet to retorque everything. I've been meaning to do it, but when its nice I want to drive the damn thing and not work on it anymore! LOL! I'll keep you posted though. I will be at Epping, but I doubt I'll be racing. I may if I get all of the bugs worked out, the roll bar installed, etc.

Jon- This hood definitely had more clearance than the stocker as the intake hit the stock hood right in the center with a 3/8" spacer and I have ample room with this hood. Its not a large cowl, but it definitely has more space.

Chris- CONGRATS! How many miles are you up to now?

Michael- I sent you a PM

Gearbanger- I trust Rick at RNH performance a whole lot and when he told me that he'd like to see me put 500 miles on it first, that's what I did without question. If you ask 10 different engine builders the question of how long to wait it seems that you will get 10 different answers. Now that I have the miles on it, I'm itching to get my wideband hooked up so that I know the AF is in check so that I can actually go WOT!!! I will admit I have a slight fear of matting the go pedal and revving it to >6000rpms, I don't know why but at the moment I do. If you knew the bad luck I have had getting this thing together you would understand. Its pretty bad when the guys at AFR have coined the term "to pull a Riva" (which is my last name) due to all the problems I had come up. I'm the type of person that if it can go wrong it will... and usually twice before I get it all sorted out and working perfect. But once I get to that point it usually works fairly well!

That is sweet man. Im glad its running nice. I know what you mean about being nervous about that first wot run. I remember being that same way last sept when i finished my 347. I was a little nervous to run it after the 500 miles break in. That smile will be ear to ear when you hit it that first time though :D

Hey Paul

I understand about wanting to be cautious :D

I'd get the wb functioning like it should and get in third for a WOT pass to
only like 4K for the first time.

Then add a bit more more rpm if things look OK.

You know, just sneak up on the redline.

Grady

Yea, I just looked at your website and it doesn't mention the displacement of the new motor...I've been curious to say the least:D

Listen to Rick, as you did, on engine break-in. Spending lots of dough is a good reason to be cautious.

Dan- The idle is a little touchy at startup but once its been running for a few minutes it is OK. I still haven't messed or even checked the IAC because the problem has gotten better. I did find my old IAC and I may still put it on to see if it makes any difference. I'm not sure if I'll make it to the Steel Valley Nats, I'd like to but I have a few other plans already for that weekend. If I can get them changed I will be up. BTW- the hood looks great, did you find a painter yet for it?

Yes I found a painter for it, I'm dropping it off Monday night after work and it should be done Wednesday, Thursday at the very latest.

As much as I don't want to run hood pins, I have very bad luck with nearly everything and I am worried about the hood flying up, even though I have the latch adjusted perfectly and Cervini's is one of the best brands out there. I am lookin around for a nice, clean lookin set of pins that won't rust, and won't look ricey or gaudy. They all seem to look the same, and I am not one to do things the way everyone else does. There are the Aerocatch pins that are very trick looking, but they require a LARGE hole, top and bottom, and the underside of the hole ends up looking very unfinished...so those are out. I guess if I can't find a set I like, I'll just run without them and hope for the best.

Dan, heres a set you may like which im also probably going to swap to when i get a chance because someone stole one of my pins, and the hardware is starting to get a lil rust. The pins on the hatch shown below are locking pins that are almost flush with the hood, and theres a key to open them. I believe you can get them from Jegs or Summit.

DSCN1020.jpg