whos got the best plug wires?

somersdp

Nov 16, 2003
WPB,Florida
It seems as if I have used a dozen diferent wires over the years and I need some opinions on wires that are made to fit the 5.0. Between the Taylors, FMS, MSD and any others. What are you guys using and whats the best bang for the buck. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

No Im from Clarksville TN. I have the FMS 9mm on there now but they are ready to be replaced. The FMS arent spiral core are they? Im looking more for a spiral core wire, and the MSD advertise 40-50 ohms per foot resistance. Does anyone know if you need to make those custom fit like the accel 300+ or do they come already made? Just curious. The Taylors are really expensive but look awsome. Anymore thought or comments. I also have a MSD BLASTER 2 and Pro Billet distibutor.

I have always hated the FMS wires. They don't work for crap. MSD's are all I run. They advertise 50ohms per foot, and they are 50ohms per foot. I have tested mine and they check out. I have tested the FMS wires and some of them have checked in at over 300ohms per foot.

MSD's get my vote. I believe the 5.0 specifics are pre made.

Been running the Saleen/Taylor Spiro Pro's since 91 with the 135* boot angle. There a custom fit design and have never given me any probs. First set went nearly 8 yrs :nice: before I decided to buy new ones.

Heard alot of arcing prob's with the FMS but have no first hand exp with em.
The Taylor 409's are excellent too, but just can't see spending $100 on wires.
MSD's are supposed to be good too.

Scott

somersdp said:
It seems as if I have used a dozen diferent wires over the years and I need some opinions on wires that are made to fit the 5.0. Between the Taylors, FMS, MSD and any others. What are you guys using and whats the best bang for the buck. :shrug:

I have had 3 or 4 sets of Taylor Spiro Pros, in blue, for my 302's, since about 1985. Never a problem, work great, stock and Jacobs ignitions, etc. Highly recommended.

I agree, that FMS wires are crap....they will shink in diameter as they get older. Im not sure what makes them shrink but it's not due to engine heat. My "9mm" wires measured a whoping 7.2mm after a year.

My personal preferance is Performance Distributors Live Wires. I have their Ignition Kit and have really been pleased with it. The kit comes with Screamin Deamon coil, brass cap & rotor, Dyna Mod ignition module and the live wires with are available for either equal or unequal length headers...http://www.performancedistributors.com/

They also give a dyno tested 10hp and 10 lbs of torque on a stock stang

Taylor wires are the only wires I'll use anymore
MSD: never used em
FMS: the wires keep arcing out at the boot & or burn through the insulation (not from the exhuast)
ACCEL: Always pull apart when you take em off the plugs.
Parts Store stuff: Junk nough said.
Taylors: Once I switched only had to replace them once due to a battery that leaked acid, otherwise they were fine. Never had a better wire I use the regular 8mm "Spiro Pro's". I'll never use another wire....
JACOBS: Good but over priced

Are the Spiro pros pre made? I think I will go with them cause I have never heard a bad thing about them. What are they going for in Summit catalog? If they are pre assembled, how did they fit on the car? Thanks for all the input guys.

somersdp said:
Are the Spiro pros pre made? I think I will go with them cause I have never heard a bad thing about them. What are they going for in Summit catalog? If they are pre assembled, how did they fit on the car? Thanks for all the input guys.

Yes, you can get them in custom cut sets in blue & red only. I use the ones with the 135* boot angle. the fit is just right. they run $45 at summit

Scott

I've used most of these brands of wires and i will only run the MSD 8.5mm wires, FMS wires arc and burn and the other wires just dont perform like the MSD's, also they advertise 40-50 omhs and they are right on, other wires have far more resistance

i have the FMS 9 MM wire and they do arch am i losing any horsepower because of this. You can see them arching to the block at night its sorta cool. If this is hurting my power ill have to change them but i love these wires.